Chapter 34

Light streamed through the window, making him blink. A thunderous and unbearable noise made him jump out of bed. He groped with his hand and threw away the alarm clock, but when he saw that the sound continued, he opened his eyes furiously.

It was the cell phone. Who was calling at that hour? He needed to find first that little device, then he would press the button to answer and say a couple of things to the one who dared to call him so early in the morning. Stumbling and whining, he made his way to the living room where he has left his cell phone the night before. He was already awake.

When he picked it up, the voice froze his thoughts at that instant.

"Leon, it's me Numa. Finally!¨

"Hi...hello."

"Were you sleeping? It's almost noon."

Leon brushed his hair out of his face. Almost noon? Has he overslept? "Shit, I have business politics today."

"Hey, I know I should not call you, but did you get a job yet?"

Leon looked at his cell phone as if he misheard. "Job?"

"No."

"Are you looking for one or do you live off your parents?"

Leon felt the urge to throw the cell phone against the wall, he had to calm down.

"Numa, don't fuck around, I'm in a foul mood, tired so I recommend you save your comments for another day and besides, told you not to call me.. so what do you want?"

He was angry and blurted out

"And I wasn't planning to call you, I remember what you told me, don't worry. This is an exception, last night I received a message from the manager of Doble Sense, their bartender quit and they are looking for a replacement."

"and?"

"Hello? it could be your chance, I know you have no experience but if you are interested I could recommend you and you could get the job."

Leon laughed, confused and annoyed at the same time

"...after all, you do care about me."

"Of course I do, I consider you a friend even though you don't care about me. And I told you that if I could help you I would. Well, do you want the job, or not? Before rushing your answer, think what this jobs means: guys, drinks and good tips."

Leon let out a sigh, for the first time the image of Numa came to his mind, of that time in the hotel when he has fallen asleep in his arms. He clenched his fist tightly.

"Why me?"

"I think it's the perfect job for you...oh, another thing...".

"What?" asked Leon a little worried.

"You have to go with me to the interview...and..."

"¿and?"

"Nothing. You interested?"

"Yes."

"We meet Friday at 10 p.m., at the entrance of Double Sense."

Leon pulled his hair out of his face again, still curious about something.

"Okay. Numa, what was it you wanted to tell me?"

"Oh that?...I'm seeing someone. Take care. Bye."

Before Leon could answer, Numa already hung up. Surely it was that asshole Lucas, he thought angrily. He was very handsome but beyond that there was nothing. "Numa is a fool, well better, once he gets bored I'll getmy chance".