Chapter 12

Numa woke up feeling his head heavy and a tiredness was flooding his body, maybe it was mainly because he has done nothing on Sunday, went to bed very early, and after having slept almost 12 hours, his body was heavy and his mind was foggy.

Dumbfounded, he went to the bathroom, showered quickly and wearing only a t-shirt and his underwear, he went to the kitchen where his grandmother was already waiting for him with breakfast ready.

"Good morning" seeing him almost naked, she gave him a reproachful look, "How come you haven't changed? You'll be late for class."

"No grandma, I'm not going today...I have to go to a classmate's house to return a book" he was lying, he couldn't tell her the truth.

"Numa, how many absences do you have already?"

"Grandmaaa" the protest said it al. "You know I don't miss much, I'm too old to ask you for permission to be absent."

Grandma looked at him, defeated.

"You never asked me either, you missed whenever you wanted to...bah...let's not talk about that. Drink your coffee with milk, it's going to get cold " put the cup on the table 'and do me a favor and get dressed, you're going to catch a cold."

Numa sat down and took a roll from the basket in front of him. He felt his grandmother's hand ruffling his hair.

"Yesterday you went to bed very early, didn't you?"

"Yes, 7 pm. I almost didn't sleep on Saturday, just two hours.'

"I thought so..'.

She left the kitchen, while Numa had a quick breakfast. He went back to the room to get dressed and half an hour later he left the apartment.

With a bit of fear, he took the bus and got off on the big avenue he already knew, walked down a few streets and arrived at the huge building where Lucas lived. He hoped he has left to the school already because the last thing he wanted was to meet him.

The doorman, a robust man of about 60 years old with tanned skin opened the door of the building at that moment, he was carrying some cleaning utensils in his hand, he looked at him for a few moments. When Numa made a gesture to pass, he asked him:

"Where are you going?"

"To the 5th floor, where the Italian family lives."

The doorman nodded, stepped aside to let him pass. Numa climbed the floors almost at a trot as he didn't feel in the mood to wait for the elevator. His heart was beating fast when he finally found himself in front of the entrance door. He rang the doorbell, a female voice answered from the other side:

"Who is it?"

"It's me, Numa," he felt a trickle of voice escaping from his lips as he tried to clear his throat.

The young woman opened the door with a big smile and for the second time he was amazed by the resemblance that the young woman had with his brother, although he liked Lucas' black eyes much more than his sister's.

"Come in, what brings you here so early?"

She led him to the dining room where a few plates, two cups and the newspaper were scattered on the square table.

"Would you like some coffee?"

At the very idea Numa felt his stomach turn.

"No, thank you."

"Sit down." The sister motioned for him to take a seat, she followed him.

Numa felt like a fool, although he knew he didn't have to.