Chapter 28

Trigger warning: This chapter may contain scenes not suitable for some audiences, material can trigger depression, anger and self harming feelings. Discretion is advised!

Numa slept very badly, trembling under nightmares.

It was Monday and he could not concentrate at all at school. He completely forgot about the kiss and could only think about Agustín. It was like an obsession, the word death occupied his mind the whole time and he could do nothing but remember the accident and the death of his parents over and over again. How could he be helpful to his best friend? If only he knew a way, if he only knew at least how he was doing. He tried to reach Agustin several times over the phone, sent messages that remained unread, took his phone to take a look again when Lucas grabbed him by the arm in the corridor.

"Hey, hi!"

"Hi, I didn't see you." replied Numa.

Lucas stared at him, he looked weird, like he was absent.

"Are you okay, Numa?"

Numa looked at him and at that moment he remembered the kiss, and he felt even worse that nothing happened afterwards. A sense of wasting time, and loneliness came over him.

"Yes, I'm fine, just... nothing, let's talk another day."

He got lost in one of the corridors that led to the opposite wing, where he had classes.

Lucas stood there thinking. "Looks like neither of us had a good night."

It was Tuesday and Numa felt already like couldn't get anything right. He also had to the training, he missed the last session because of the preparations for his birthday, and missing training time meant punishment. His trainer was a strict type, did not take absences well.

He walked around the house trying to focus his attention on preparing his stuff. He was about to leave when her grandmother came in, carrying a shopping bag in one hand and her purse and keysin the other.

At that moment the phone rang, but seeing his grandmother heading for the kitchen, he answered it. It was probably one of her friends, they all still had old phones at home.

A woman's voice came from the other end.

"Numa?" asked softly.

"Yes, it's me, who is speaking?" asked Numa, surprised.

"It's Ana, Agustin's mother."

Numa was stunned, surely they were calling him about his friend's hospitalization, maybe they had some news.

When did Agustin talk to his parents? How did they react? He was about to ask, a strange noise come from the other side, he felt scared. He did not want to recognize that sound, she was sobbing.

His hand started trembling.

"Agustin is dead"

Her voice was trembling and her throat was making an annoying noise. He hated her in that moment.

Her words seemed from far away, and he felt how his own heart started beating slowly and gradually increasing its rhythm. Did he hear wrong? It must be. That was ridiculous. In his own world the words were getting drowned out by a strange sound in his head.

"Wh..How?" How could she dare to tell him something like this about his best friend? He had a lump in his throat. That could not be true.

"He took his own life. He's dead, Numa" he heard a choked sob, "Fu..funeral..we will let you know".