Chapter 19

His brother Alex's shiny black Mercedes picked them up at the house to take them to the airport. Lucas tried every possible option to get away: to disappear, a recent job, an exam the next day, but even if he didn't like it, it was his cousin who was arriving in Buenos Aires that day in the evening. It took them around one hour to reach the international airport of Ezeiza.

Manon almost put on her best clothes to pick him up, he would like to know what his dear cousin would say when he saw him looking like that, all disheveled. He couldn't help to think for a few moments about how he would look like, and how he would wear his hair.

Surely he has changed a lot in the year and a half they haven't seen each other. Would he still be smelling of that expensive perfume for men, wearing his shiny fancy shoes, his Swiss watch and a mostly fake smile, which only a very few could tell apart from the real one? It didn't matter, it shouldn't matter anymore.

What would he do when he was in front of him? He was not the same, he has become a bit sullen and the truth is that this time if it was necessary to go toe to toe with him, he would do it. He was not going to allow him to use him as toy for his free time, like he did in the past.

He looked his watch impatiently, inside the airport lounge people were crowded at the entrance, since at the same time many flights were arriving.

Manon chewed her gum with anxiety, Lucas knew both got along very well, probably because of being of same age. Giovanni already turned 21, and both of them have a lot in common.

But of course, Manon knew little or nothing about what happened between the two of them, about certain things Lucas simply kept silent, firstly for fear of not being believed and secondly because it was obvious that they would never believe him.

Half an hour passed and Alex was getting impatient.

"I hope he won't be late. Tomorrow I have an important meeting at the company and I still have to prepare a report."

He and his damn job, thought Lucas.

"You knew he was coming so don't be a pain, if you are in a hurry take a cab."

Alex just grimaced, it was obvious that he would never leave his car to anyone. Lucas kept thinking that out of the three of them, the one who identified himself in many ways as Italian was his older brother, not only because of his habits but also because of certain attitudes like his obsession for his car.

Someone waved his hand in their direction, Lucas barely responded, Manon ran out to meet him to clasp in his arms a small young man whom he could easily pull out six inches, he heard that laughter, even if it was fake, his laughing was full of warmth and life.

How could he have forgotten that sound when his cousing laughed at his innocence so many times?!

Alex was the second to approach him, to shake his hand and give him a thumbs up for his new look.

Lucas approached him last, simulating a smile, hugged him as usual and let him go quickly, grabbed the suitcase and went forward. Manon stayed behind chatting with the young man.

"How was the trip, Giovi?

"Very well, fortunately! Thank you. But I'm still tired, too many hours."

"Yes it's true, are you hungry? I've prepared a lasagna, I'm sure you'll love it."

"Thank you," he winked at her, it was obvious that he was slyly looking at Lucas, which did not go unnoticed by Manon. The young woman looked at him for a few moments.

"What have you done to your hair?" she asked while she was shaking his very short black hair that was almost in a point and slightly dyed red on the ends.

"It's fashionable now, it's the latest trend in my city, thought you'd like it." his gaze was again on Lucas.

She looked him intrigued. Giovanni was looking stunning, as always. He had a naturally tanned skin as he enjoy the beach a lot, soft but manly features and eyes with thick black eyelashes that framed wonderful amber eyes.

"Gatto!"

He laughed loud, surprised.

"Nobody calls me that like anymore, I'm too old to be the family cat."

"To me you are still a cat, with those yellow eyes it's impossible not to be one," I winked at him, "and what's up? dating or still single?"
"No please, don't start with the children and marriage.

„Why would I say something like that? Did they legalize gay marriage in Italy?"

Giovanni looked at her obviously surprised, he had no idea that she knew, did Lucas tell her?

"Don't make that face, you are underestimating my intelligence, I am a discreet, not stupid."

"That's not why..." he muttered.

"Look here you are in Buenos Aires, this city is not that liberal but better than Torino and as a foreigner you can take advantage of it"

Manon went ahead to get into the car. The trip was made between the anecdotes told as Giovanni looked enthusiastically the landscape from the window of the car.

When they arrived at the house Alex disappeared, apologizing and Manon was busy putting the lasagna in the oven, not so much because of the boys but because she herself was starving.

Giovanni settled down in the guest room, open the suitcase that Lucas has put in there moments before. Luckily the guest room where he would sleep was next to Lucas', which gave him immense satisfaction. He disappeared into the bathroom, took off his shirt and put on a tight white t-shirt, wet his hair a little and went to Lucas' room. He knocked before entering.

"Yes," Lucas' voice answered from inside.

The door opened and Giovanni entered, closing the door behind him.

"What's up? You need something?" the tone was dry.

Giovanni approached him slowly.

"No, we just haven't talked yet," he looked at him sweetly, "I hope you're not still angry about what happened last time. It's been a long time."

"Me? For such a foolish thing? How could you even think that?" The sarcasm was evident.

Giovanni took a step more shortening the distance between the two of them, the difference in height was remarkable, Giovanni was surprised of how much he has grown in less than two years, although he himself has always been the shortest of the family.

"I came just for a visit, let's leave the past behind us, ok?"

"What makes you think I would do so?"

"I don't know, hospitality?"

"My sister accepted you in her house, she is in charge of hospitality, now please go, I have things to do."

"Ok" Giovanni smiled slowly "but you should know that I never give up."

Lucas took the young man's chin between his fingers and fixed his eyes on him.

"Giovanni, I'm not a kid anymore, so be careful."

He let him go and opened the door inviting him to come out.

*gatto (Italian word for cat)