Chapter 31

Numa opened his eyes slowly, he has a terrible headache which was clearly not due to hangover. He looked confusedly at the white lights, the small room illuminated by the weak sunlight filtering through the window.

He put his hands to his head unable to think, and his fingers touched the bandage, and it was when he realized where he was.

He looked around him, everything was very strange, he began to worry, it did not look like any hospital he knew. He thought his grandmother would be there but it wasnt the case. On the bedside table located on his left side there was only a package of half-started cookies. What time was it? He should go to school.

It was an absurd thought he immediately erased from his mind.

He closed his eyes again, he was thirsty. He tried to move his right hand and let out a moan of pain, it felt as if thousands of needles were sticking in his wrist. He raised his head slightly to discover that it was bandaged as well, then remembered the scene: one of the guys twisted his arm to immobilize him. A new thought awakened a fury within him: he lost the fight. Of course he did, it was 3 against 1, but he defended himself well and was proud of how unharmed he came out of it.

However, it was strange his grandmother was not there. Thoughts simply flowed through his mind: the letter Agustín left him was still on his desk, he couldn't open it, he couldn't touch it, that paper instilled a fear in him, a fear that everything he knew would collapse. Those were his last words, what would they be?

The door opened, a young woman who at first did not want to believe who it was but who confirmed it when she was close, greeted him with enthusiasm.

"Good morning sleepyhead " Manon smiled at him.

Numa looked at her confused, he remembered very little of the past night. The rest was a void, but if Manon was there it also meant that Lucas was not far away. He wanted to run away.

"How do you feel?"

"Lost." He didn't think he could give such an accurate answer.

"You don't remember anything?" She seemed surprised.

"No, I think I drank too much."

"Yes, and it seems that you beat someone up too, didn't you?"

Numa looked at her reluctantly, she was right but he was not in the mood to answer questions he knew he had, mainly to his grandmother later on. Surely she would worry, he promised her not to get into similar situations again. He had to control himself, to behave and not to bring her any more trouble, and yet there he was, lying on a hospital bed with several wounds.

He let out a sigh.

"Lucas is in the cafeteria, I didn't think you were going to wake up so early, but first of all" he looked at the door as if he was afraid of something "this is the family clinic" she winked "so you are my little brother, I mean, you know what I mean, right?"

Numa looked at her confused, have they made him pass for someone else?

"Ok, don't say anything, don't ask anything, you just shut your mouth, got it?"

Numa nodded his head still confused by the set of facts surrounding him.

"Well, I'm going to look for Lucas..." she winked.

"Wait," Numa swallowed, "don't... don't call him."

Manon looked at him without understanding. Numa even seemed ashamed of his own attitude.

"I'm sorry, but I don't want to talk to him, not now."

"Look, that's for him to decide, not me. I'm sorry but after the little night we had, I'm not going to tell him you don't want to talk to him. If you don't want to, tell him yourself but don't come to me with such request."