Chapter 60

#STORMY DAYS

Lucas sighed with relief when the doctors came by Friday morning to remove the blindfold. But when he looked in the mirror he realized that his sister would have a fit. A red line started from the left side of his forehead and gradually descended to cut the eyebrow of his right eye in half. The doctors told him that in spite of how it looked at that moment, he would probably not have any marks left because of the way they had sutured it. He only had to take care of himself, he would have to apply a healing cream for a month and live with that mark for a while, it would not be pleasant but with time it would disappear.

Lucas smiled, he had no problems, he thought that if he wanted to call the modeling agency he should wait at least for a while, but he asked the doctors to take the same trouble to explain it to his sister because knowing her as he did, he knew she could have an attack. She worried too much about him.

When the doctors left, he took the opportunity to rest again, he felt incredibly exhausted probably because of the sedatives, he turned to the window to enjoy the clarity of the day, he still could not move very well, he had another ugly wound, in one of the buttocks and it still pulled a little when he moved.

The day before the police has been there to take the corresponding statement, he explained as best he could the details of the attack, but he summarized it sufficiently, leaving out certain scenes that were not relevant. At that moment he thought they were going to kill him, but even in those moments he tried to defend himself, the result of all those wounds was his fault, if he had let them do it, accepting the trip that they were going to give him, now he would not have a scarred face nor would he have that cut on his buttock. He had thought he would die from fear but much more from the rage that invaded him. He had many things hidden inside him, listening to them talking and naming Giovanni took him to his limit.

He closed his eyes, how could he forget? They hadn't grabbed him in the street, they called him when he arrived home, they knew he was supposedly under surveillance so they weren't going to risk attacking him openly. They told him  they knew where his sister was, and named him even the address, Lucas hung up the phone and saw that his brother has not yet returned. He looked back at the phone and thought at that moment if he should call the police. He remembered Numa's words and fear invaded him again, when he got out his legs were shaking, however he chose to pretend disinterest, he saw them two blocks away in the car, he got in without thinking twice, and they took him to an open field. Lucas had a knife hidden in his clothes, they were the two guys from last time, they informed him that they found the drugs but of course, they had to give him what he deserved for having informed the police and almost getting them caught.

Lucas thought in some corner of his mind that at least they wouldn't kill him. They kicked him out of the car, and once on the asphalt of what he assumed was a highway, they confronted him, Lucas knew what was coming and for a moment he gave up, accepting whatever was coming before its time. One hit him in the side of the waist forcing him to bend, while out of the corner of his eye he could see the other one approaching. It was hard to breathe, he heard a laugh, the typical insults and a comment that pulled him out of his isolation: "So you like to play with the boys, huh? Giovanni already told us to be careful.

Lucas lost the sanity that had been controlling his movements up to that moment, his mind cleared and he felt a fury flood him, as it has never happened to him before. Perhaps it was the memories of the past that spurred him to do what he always wanted to do. He saw a shadow over himself and pulled out his knife, blindly throwing a blow. He hit it squarely, a hot liquid stained his hand, he heard shouting, whistling and one falling to the ground. Has he killed him?  It was too late, that was a fight of seconds, the fear altered the nerves of his body, someone was approaching but he was unable to see him, but he managed to react in time and slipped away. It was surprising, the fear has disappeared, there was only the excitement of the fury that invaded him inside. He remembered that at that moment he felt transported to another reality, it was no longer him, it was simply someone he kept inside for a long time.

Apparently only he and the other criminal were left, his companion was  still on the floor, he saw himself fleeing while the other criminal pursued him furiously and brandished a knife in his hand, in fractions of seconds he saw him on top of him, he managed to dodge the blow, words came out of the man's mouth that he did not hear, he only followed with obsessive attention the course of the silver blade in the night. Finally he attacked again, but once again he managed to stop that hand and with a force he did not remember having, he smashed it against the window of the car, breaking it. The guy went back to punching, the man pushed him and Lucas staggered back, and with this he gave advantage to the other. At that moment he regained his fear lying on the floor, however he forced himself to move, he crawled quickly, now he knew that they were in a dangerous game, now it was a game to see who would survive.

He got up but it was too late, the man had thrown himself on top of him grabbing him by the neck with his left hand, at that moment he heard a groan, the guy who was on the ground has joined, and then he realized that he was not dead and that he was in a good predicament.

He tried desperately to free himself, he did not survive so long to let himself be defeated at that moment and managed to let go for a few seconds, until the other grabbed him again by the neck, dragging him with him, Lucas knew that he was going to throw him against the car, and tried uselessly to watch the second one but this one, although incorporated on his own feet, remained still. He smiled, he gave him a good wound, and then he was thrown hard against the bumper, with a bestial impulse, luckily cushioning a little the blow with his hand, he got up and then he felt the stream of blood on his face, his head hurt, he staggered, that was not going well, he thought while his sight blurred, he felt how some hands grabbed him and laid him on the floor, in the darkness a laughter sounded. Everything went black, something was stinging him, he groaned and a whirlpool formed in his body, forcing him to open his eyes, from there the memory became blurry, he only remembered spinning on the grass and another blow, bright colors and very loud sounds.

Apparently he has been thrown into the trees, the cut on his thigh was supposed to have been made by the glass, something he did not remember. He supposed that in the euphoria he had not felt many things. What he could not explain and neither could the police was how he was found. They did not kill him but left him in an open field on the sideway and an hour later  a truck driver reported anonymously about his whereabouts, alleging he  has seen him while driving, at night on a road, which was very unlikely. 

The police supposed the criminals probably panicked after what they have done and decided to reported it anonymously, which to Lucas sounded very unlikely. However, what he did think it was that they informed Giovanni of what they have done to him, and he told them to call,  did not want him to die, or did he?

He had a very bad time, all his fears had surfaced the next day and nightmares had tortured him tearing tears, he had screamed, cried, and asked for forgiveness. He was another person, and he had other thoughts, finally he remembered that last moment with Numa and he thought that he would never see him again.

When he woke up he started to think about the fight the last time with Numa, and he began to understand him, little by little. They were so different, and yet that boy knew how to fight with the skill of someone who had done it all his life, and he wondered what kind of environment Numa grown up in. He told him before that he didn't want to live in the past but now he realized it wasn't about the past, it was about seeing what one had done in order to change. If Numa had gone through similar situations, he would blame himself all his life for not having given him the opportunity to talk to him, for not having listened to him when perhaps he needed to be heard, after all, in an attempt not to listen to himself, he had refused to listen to his boyfriend.

He closed his eyes, the glare burned his eyes producing a stitch of pain in his forehead, what would he do, how would he go on from now on. Things don't happen for nothing, used to say his sister. Fate? he used to believe in that as well, now he was thinking it was another way to cover own mistakes. He really wanted to talk to Numa.