Chapter 38

Lucas was sitting staring at his phone impatiently, waiting for a call from Italy.

That morning when he came back from the cinema and after leaving Numa at home, he found his sister awake waiting for him. She told him about his cousin's room, so there were only two things left: the first one was to ask him directly and the second one was to get rid of the doubt by contacting a trusted friend in Italy. Manon had some friends over there, but that wouldn't help, Lucas knew very well. The only person who could help them, who belongs in the same environment as his cousin was a old friend of Lucas, an acquaintance he would have preferred not to have to contact again.

The sound of the telephone startled him, he answered immediately.

"Buon Giorno," a slightly gruff voice greeted him from the other end.

"Are you just getting up?" was all Lucas could ask, it was 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

"Lu, you woke me today quite early asking me to call you back asap after months of silence and not knowing anything about you, and the only thing that occurs to you now is to ask me that?," he sounded a little amused.

"It's true, sorry," that had brought a memory to his mind that he quickly pushed away.

"I don't think you want to talk about the past, am I right? You asked me if I had any news about Giovanni. And by the way, since when are you so interested in your little cousin that you are chasing him?"

"I'm not interested, just tell me if you know anything about him."

"I haven't talked to you for so long and you only call me to ask me about your cousin? How insensitive!"

"Get to the point Dante, I don't have much time."

"Your cousin is currently wanted by the police. He will get arrested right away once he comes back to the country"

"...."

"You're not saying anything? I guess you're not surprised since you knew he was a quite a big dealer"

Lucas nodded as if Dante could see it. Of course he knew, even after moving out of town he saw him again in Milano at one of the night clubs where he went with Dante. No one supposedly knew him but everyone knew where he belonged to.

"But, love, here comes the surprise, what you don't know is that the arrest warrant is not for the drug business, but for swindling."

"Scam? He's in the scam business too?"

"Yes, I heard he was part of a group which set up phantom corporations, and they swindled and took over 4 or 5 companies, among them, M.T.G."

"Wait, what?! But that's..."

"I know love, that's his father's company."

The amused laugh that followed that news sounded so creepy that he hunged up immediately.

#

A couple of day passed since Giovanni left, and since that day Manon did not see him again. And to think she was so nervous. She closed the book she had in front of her, she had to concentrate but there was no way, according to what Lucas told her, her cousin was involved in something more serious than drugs, but he did not want to explain it clearly and she did not understand why.

If only he would call, but his cousin simply disappeared for days and then nobody heard from him again, Manon was worried about what could happen to him, she knew very well that in that kind of business, today you are here but tomorrow you are not.

She got up and put her things aside, she didn't have the head to continue studying. Besides that, she did not have any reasons to ask him to leave the house. Maybe the poor kid was clean and even if he wasn't hanging out with the right people, he hasn't brought them any trouble.