1 The Night We Met (before)

The place was still unknown to me, even after two weeks since my arrival. I only remembered where my room was, the cafeteria, the library and my classes; out of the campus it was all a mystery to me.
Every room was the same: creaking bunk bed on the right, a too-small-for-two-people wardrobe and only one desk, in front of the window. I couldn't expect more since it was a scholarship and I didn't pay anything, except for the plane ticket.
I liked my roommate, we seemed to get along. She was quite talkative and I was not, not until I got comfortable. «I'm Everleigh, but call me Evie,» she said as soon as I stepped in the room, still with my baggages in my hands. «like the Pokémon, but not spelled in that way, it's "E-V-I-E".» she spelled while writing the letters in the air with her finger.
She was full of energies.
When she saw my guitars, we started talking about music and she revealed me she was a drummer; after playing the violin for nine years, forced by her parents, she took the courage to tell them she didn't enjoy playing the violin and she wanted to play the drums.

At first I struggled taking notes during lessons, but after the first month, I felt like a native speaker.
Mine and Evie's room slowly became better and better. We covered the white walls with posters, she put her CD player on the desk and we combined all our CDs, creating a very big collection.

It was night when I was sitting on my bed, with my acoustic guitar on my tight, while Evie was in front of me on the desk's chair, watching me play and humming the words of the song. «If just I could fit the drums in here,» Evie said. «you know how cool it would be?»
I smiled as I kept playing. I didn't have an amplifier, since I brought already too many things with me, but you could still hear the acoustic guitar very well.
A knock from the door caught our attention, as we both looked at the wooden door. Evie stood up first and turned the handle. Two boys were standing in the hallway. They were both tall, but one was particularly tall, wearing an 'Hellhammer' t-shirt, his blonde hair was no longer than a buzz cut. «Told ya mate.» he said.
His accent wasn't American, but I didn't have enough experience to get that it was Australian.
Evie was confused and turned her head towards me, to see if I knew what was going on, but I didn't. «Can I help you?» she asked.
«I'm Jess Anderson,» the blonde guy introduced himself. «and he's Chase Lee.» said pointing to the slim guy standing on his left.
«Evie Weir and she's...» Evie said, waiting for me to introduce myself.
«I'm Sara Bella.» I said standing up and walking to Evie's side.
It might have been the loud noises coming from all of the rooms, but Jess did not actually understand my name. «Okay, Evie and Arabella, we heard the guitar,» Jess continued. «Chase said it didn't come from here, but another room. I've heard ya play a lot.» he said to me.
«Did I bother you?» I asked scared.
On the moment I forgot to correct him about my name, the last thing I wanted, was to bother people with my music. I was used to my family yelling at me to lower the volume of my guitar or the music I was listening to.
«No, you're great,» he said. He looked at Chase. «we also play,» he looked back at me. «bass» he said pointing at Chase. «and guitar,» he said pointing at himself. «so if you wanna stop by sometimes...»
I nodded and looked at Evie. «She can play the drums.» I said.
Jess raised his eyebrows. «Mate,» he looked at Chase with a big smile. «we got a band.»
We made them come inside and talked about forming a band. That was the day: October twelfth 2008, that our band was created.
We began sharing the music we liked, realizing that Rock was what united the most. «Recently I've been listening to all that Norwegian stuff, like, Emperor, Burzum, Darkthrone...» he explained. «It actually improved my guitar playing, got so fast.» he smiled.
He was next to me, sat with his arms behind holding his back. «I'm in love with Grunge, you know I liked Punk a lot and I was interested in Metal, but when I found Grunge I was complete.» Evie said. «I love Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Silverchain, Green Fiver.»
Chase seemed not about to talk. «I always swing by sub-genres, but Classic Rock is always my favorite.» I confessed.
«I'm so into Psychedelic, great for when I smoke.» Chase smiled emptily. He probably was not sober even then.
Jess tapped his feet. «So what we are gonna play?» he asked.
«You're right.» Evie said. «We could kind of merge our likes.»