52 Making Up

Arabella's pov
I woke up by the sound of annoying and repetitive knocks at my door; it was Chase, asking me if I would have went downstairs to have breakfast. In a rush I put some clothes on and followed him.
I had nothing to do that day, but a desire of coffee. Evie, who wanted to go to the beach with William, and Chase, who wanted to bring Rose out, in the same places we went the day before, so that he would look like he knew where he was going, both woke up earlier than usual.
The three of us met in the lobby, to go in the hotel's restaurant to have breakfast.
Like almost every hotel in Italy, there was a buffet and everyone had their own table reserved, with white tablecloths, fancy silverware and a colorful centerpiece made of flowers, that changed every day.
We sat at our table and a waiter arrived to take our orders, since the buffet was just for food and not for drinks, except for juice. «Would you like anything to drink?» he asked, with the most stereotypical Italian accent.
«Per me un caffè corto,» I said and the waiter nodded. I looked at Chase. «e per lui...»
He was so exited to order in Italian and made me repeat the order fifteen times, to get it right. «un cappuccino, grazie.» he said, with an American pronunciation.
The waiter smiled and nodded again, to the look at Evie. «What do I want?» she asked me.
«Un caffè lungo per lei.» I told the waiter for her.
«Thank you,» the waiter said. «I will be right back.»
Once the waiter walked away, Chase and Evie stood up, to go to the buffet. «You're not coming?» Evie asked me.
«The coffee it's already my breakfast.» I said.
«But there are so many things.» she said.
«I'm good.»

William and Rose joined us and not long after, I left, since my breakfast was over, but mostly because I couldn't stand them being so smoochy so early in the morning.
From the back pocket of my jeans, I pulled out the lightweight package of cigarettes; I sighed in annoyance, as I saw the box almost-empty, with just three cigarettes left.
I looked up from my hands and that's when my eyes met his. My heart started beating faster and I cleared my throat, when I felt it burning.
He looked down at his feet and then crushed his chocolate-brown eyes with mine. He gently smiled. «Good morning.» he said softly.
I could tell he had just woken up, seeing his hair failing on staying slicked back, like he wanted, as it fell to cover his face from the sides; he didn't even put effort in dressing good, like he was used to, he managed to still look presentable, wearing a light-blue striped t-shirt, that made him look like blue version of Where's Waldo?.
«'Morning,» I said. «weird you're up this early.» I teased him.
Perhaps we would have pretended like nothing ever happened between us.
«Yeah,» he smiled, scratching the back of his neck. «just wanted to explore before leavin'.» I nodded. «What are you up to?» he asked me.
«Oh, nothing really,» I said. «I was just going out for a smoke.»
He smiled and I was about to leave, sticking a cigarette between my lips, I turned around and started walking towards the glass-made doors. Fingers wrapped my forearm grasping it to make me stop. I turned around and looked at Alex's hand holding my arm. His touch on my skin made me unintentionally hold my breath. «I just wanted to thank you,» he said. I looked up at his marvelous dark eyes. «after you left things got worst and I realised that you were right.»
«You don't have to be sorry,» I said. His hand was still holding my forearm, slowly sliding to my wrist. «I should have helped you instead of reacting like that.» I said. «I'm happy you cared about your health.»
«Thanks but, you know if- if I had just listened to you... things wouldn't have ended like this.» he said.
I swallows the lump in my throat; his hand was now stroking its fingers with mine. I nodded and bit the inside of my cheek. «Is- is it too late if I try to make up?» I smiled. «Perhaps with a dinner.»
«I'd love to.» I said.
He nodded. «Is tomorrow night okay?»
«Yeah, it's perfect.»
«We can meet in the lobby at eight.»
«Sure.»
I did not know how to say goodbye, so I left him with a "see you" and walked away, placing again the cigarette between my lips and a lighter in my hand.

I couldn't believe what just happened and during the whole cigarettes I smoked, I kept rethinking about every single word he pronounced, every move he made and anything that could mean something.
Everything happened so quickly, maybe we were rushing things, but maybe he just wanted us to be friends, nothing romantic... or maybe he wanted something romantic and the lack of knowledge I had on what was happening made me go crazy.