Issue 2 - The Amazing All Might

Ok, let's do this one last time. My name is Y/N Parker, and I'm in your friendly neighbourhood. Well, I'm still working on that part. I was born with the quirk that I share with my late father: the power of a spider. I can do what you expect, climb walls, throw a nasty punch, and my secret weapon—the Spider-Sense. When I was younger, I wanted nothing more than to become a pro like the big three.

I got that from my Uncle Ben; I'll tell you he was the coolest pro you've ever seen. But that's the problem when it comes to pros; you aren't exactly hidden from the public. It wasn't tough for some bad people he crossed to track him down, and well... I watched the man I admired most die in front of me.

Since then, I have abandoned the idea of being a pro. Keeping my identity a secret is vital; I can't let that happen to anyone else. So, for the past two years, I've been cracking at this hero job. There isn't much to it; I haven't fought any big villains yet; I leave the big fish to the pros. No, I look out for the little guys and wouldn't have it any other way. 

Would it be nice to fight some big-time villain? Of course, my favourite pro is, without a doubt, America's number two hero, Captain America. He just works. Differently, he doesn't care about fame or merchandise. He is seriously just there to save lives. That's the sort of person I strive to be. It hasn't been easy, that's for sure; if it isn't the live thugs after me, I got the police, the public and pros after me. I don't care if what I'm doing is breaking the law; I'm going to keep being who I know I was meant to be.

Saving people is in my blood, and nothing can change that.

*****

Doing a backflip, I zipped through an open window, running and jumping over office desks before leaping out the next available window. Feeling the wind pass me by, the world at my fingertips. Swinging like this just makes me feel free and alive. Even if I wasn't saving people, there's no way I wouldn't give up this feeling.

Passing through a water tower, I rolled onto the rooftop, lifting my mask up and catching my breath. "That's like, what, 20,000 steps worth of swinging? But at least I wore off that burrito."

Flipping through my phone, I began ticking things off my list for today: " I saved three people from a falling bus... I stopped a robbery. I saved a woman's cat and got a churro for it. And oh yeah, Aunt May's eggs."

Sitting on the edge of the roof, I began scrolling through the web, passing the time. It was this early, and I didn't want to go home. Then, slumped over, I heard the sound of a police siren. "Hey, Spider guy! Yeah, you!"

Looking down, I saw a police officer calling me over. Pointing to myself, I jumped down, confused. "Umm, afternoon, officer. You aren't here to arrest me, right?"

"Thank God I found you. To be honest, I'll take just about any help I can get. My comms have been down for the past twenty minutes, so I can't call for backup. In that apartment building, I have a hostage situation; four residents are being held captive by some madman."

I felt my heart skip a beat as I cleared my throat, trying to keep my cool. "Oh, great. I mean, that's not great. I just, you know... It's a good thing I'm here. Like, what do we know about the kidnapper."

"He hasn't given out any ransom. He's only asking for the Spider Vigilante."

"He's asking for me? Well, that's new. How many do you think inside?" I ask, changing my web-shooters.

"I believe it's only one, but he's got a line of sight on all of them. Even if I got back up here, he would open fire if someone stepped inside. Are you able to sneak in and take him out?"

"I've never done a hostage rescue before. It could be fun... I meant interesting. I mean... I'll stop talking."

"Maybe I should wait for a pro."