Issue 22 - Romeo Vs Juliet

Making it to the field again, I looked up to the screen waiting for the matches to be decided. "Thank you, everyone, for the wait; the matches have been decided and will begin right away. The final round will be a one on one fight. The last one standing wins. Please look to the screen to see the deciding fighters."

The brackets came up as my eyes widened slightly. The first match caught me off guard. I turned to Ashido, who too was looking up at the screen dazed. Our eyes met as she nodded seriously.

This was just my luck, a fate, you could almost say.

The first match of this final round would be me against Ashido...

****

The crowd roared on as I sat in the wings preparing for the first round. Something like this was bound to happen, but on the first round of all things? Otto came through, sitting next to me, tutting. "You do not already doubt yourself, are you? Give me a break; it's a school festival. You're not fighting for real."

"Yeah, yeah, I know that. It's just, well, I can't quite work it out. But I'm still not sure how to feel about Ashido." I state, toying with my hands. "It's hard to explain."

"Well, you like her, right?"

I nod, looking down, embarrassed. "Well yeah, I've liked her for a while. To keep my identity separate, I've always just been the punching bag, too afraid to ask anyone out. When that was very hastily taken away, I had little reason to keep up the persona for much longer. Kirishima and Ashido knew that persona as who I am. But now..."

Otto smirked, leaning back. "You're worried she's in love with The Spider guy, not Y/N Parker."

"To some extent, it just came off so suddenly and out of nowhere. It was only after my identity was revealed. It just makes me wonder, would things have played out the same if she accidentally found out?!

"Well, the way I see it, you and this Spider guy are one and the same. She made an effort to take the first step; she met your Aunt and walked to school with you every day. If that isn't enough, well, dear lord, your standards are high." Otto chuckled, standing up and shaking his head. "But that's not what I think got you worried. You've already made your concerns loud and clear to the world. You're trying to be like your Uncle, no better than him. You don't want to lose anyone because of what you are."

Flinching, I nodded. "I suppose that's not too far off. It was easier before when no one knew. I didn't have to worry about the people I care about getting hurt. But, now that the safety bubble has popped, I feel that responsibility builds up, consuming me. Am I good enough to protect them all?"

Otto stood overtaking his fist, punching me in the face. Falling over the bench, I held my face dazed. "What the hell?!"

Shaking his hand, Otto barked. "You're so God damn pretentious, always thinking it's about you. We can all take care of ourselves, you keep pushing people away, and you'll be nothing but a husk of your true self. Would your Uncle want that?"

Rubbing my cheek, I shook my head. "No, he wouldn't..."

"Sometimes words aren't enough Y/N. Our actions speak louder."

The siren rang as I was up. Standing up, I moved my arms around, giving it some thought. "Actions, huh? We'll see about that."

****

Walking onto the battlefield, I looked around the crowd going wild. Then, stretching, Ashido came onto the stage, cracking her fingers. "Who would have thought, right? Not me."

Ashido didn't respond, pulling back her sleeve. Instead, she readied herself, giving me a severe look, thinking back to what Otto had just said. "Action speak louder than words, yeah? Alright." Crouching down into my spider-pose, I nodded. "Bring it, Ashido!"