Issue 5 - New Friends, New Enemies

"Oh, right, I need to introduce you to my lab partner. He's excellent, a born genius. But of course, not as smart as yours truly." Pulling back the curtain, Peni yelled out. "Yo, Doc, do I have the person to introduce you to? This is the cousin I was bragging about, Y/N Parker."

My eyes widened to see a giant pair of mechanical arms held up. A young boy with a bald head popped out from behind them, wearing goggles and a lab coat. "The Y/N Parker?! No way, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Otto Octavius, but everyone just calls me Doc Ock; I hope we can be great friends."

"Otto, yeah, great to meet you. Sorry, it's just."

Otto chuckles slightly as he walks to his creation. "It's fine; everyone is like this seeing my invention in person. Of course, they're just in prototype shape, but I can see this changing the world."

Taking a closer look, I scoffed to myself in amazement. "How does this work? Wait, don't tell me... A neuron interface, right? But how does that even work? I mean, there are so many different precautions you would have to consider, including the person's background and mental wellbeing. The willpower and the safety harness to stop losing control."

Otto fell silent, turning to Peni, nodding, taken back. "He's as amazing as you made him out to be. Not a lot of people immediately understand what this is. I'm impressed you figured it out."

Shrugging it off, I felt one of the arms lost in thought. "It doesn't take a genius to work it out, right? Think about the utility one of these could provide. It could grind medical conditions to dust and be used as a building block for future projects... Think of the crime-fighting possibility."

"That's what you think of?" Otto chuckled. I suppose fighting bad guys could be considered pretty cool."

"Y/N has a bit of an obsession with heroes you find on the pages of a comic book. You wouldn't believe how many times he had us playing heroes vs villains when we were younger."

"Do you have a quirk Y/N?" Otto questioned, standing beside me with a curious look.

Glancing at Peni, I took a long pause shaking my head. "No, I don't."

"Both of you? Unfortunately, you don't hear of multiple family members often being quirkless. Your points for the project were respectable, of course, but I have something much grander planned for this." Otto explained, flipping a whiteboard over to show his research. "Around 20% of the population are quirkless from birth. They have no control over the matter, nor can that be changed. From the moment they are born, the world chooses their future right there and then. You could be born to become someone like All Might or the Black Panther, or you could be like us. Useless, we are looked down on as nobodies; the best we've got in life is an office job or providing support to the real heroes. But tell me, why should it be that way?"

Looking over the notes, I rubbed the back of my head, confused. "So this is meant to help the quirkless stand on their own two legs as equals to the pros?"

"No, no, no. Think grander. My invention will change society as we know it. We're not just going to become equal to quirk users; we're going to ascend them. These arms are going to replace quirks forever."

****

Sitting in the canteen, I slumped over, holding a crisp close to my mouth, laughing. "Man, you didn't tell me your lab partner was that intense."

Peni shrugged her shoulders, chuckling, leaning back. "Once Otto's head is in a project, there's no way of pulling him out. He sure gives your spider obsession a run for its money."

"That's not a bad thing, though. Seeing such passion in someone's eyes is fantastic. I would never have thought to use a neuron interface like that."

"Easy tiger, I can already see 101 ways this could go wrong for you. You, too, need to switch off hero mode every once in a while."