Issue 24 - Squashed Like a Bug

Otto awoke. He awoke, finding himself handcuffed to a bed, his inventions removed. He sat up, feeling his head roar with pain, reaching for his glasses. As he snatched them, he saw his hand trembling. Gripping it tightly, he noticed something bothering him.

It had become awfully quiet. More so than usual. The door cranked open as Peni stepped in, stopping seeing Otto awake. She smiled briefly, approaching but still keeping her distance. "How are you feeling?"

Otto put on his glasses, whispering. "What happened?"

"You don't remember?"

"No..." Remaining silent again, Otto shook his head. "I want to hear it from you..."

Peni took the TV remote turning it on. All the news channels were covering it. His brutal showcase against Y/N, the threat against his life, and Peni's. Trying to get out of bed, he was stopped by his shackles. "I miscalculated... That shouldn't have been possible."

Peni turned the TV off, trying to defuse the situation. "I know that wasn't you, Otto; if we were to go back to the drawing board, we could iron out the problems, and you can still show the world right! If we took it back to the formula, I could help, Y/N can help fin-."

Otto glanced down at his hands, clenching them. "Back to formula?! Back to formula!" 

Peni stumbled back, trembling, pinned against the wall. Otto took notice, devastated. "Peni... I'm sorry, I didn't mean... What's going to happen to me now?"

"The teachers are discussing the matter. Your arms have been confiscated for now."

Otto kept trying to break free, losing his patience. "Can't we get these damn things off me?! Peni, it's me; I wouldn't hurt you. It's just me; I can't do anything without my arms..."

Peni held the key to his handcuffs, taking them off. "I want to trust you, Otto... I do."

"No, I'll have to earn that back once again." He exclaimed. "I think it's best for everyone if I abandon my project; if it could potentially put more people at risk or push away my friends, I want no part in that."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive," Otto said, holding his hand. "Where is Y/N?"

"Taking part in his next match. Onto the semi-finals against Bakugo."

"I want to see him and apologise." 

Peni held her hand out, shaking her head. "I'm sorry, Otto, that won't be possible just yet. Until the doctors are sure, you're told to stay here."

Sitting back down, he gave a look of disappointment, nodding. "I suppose that's probably for the best, yeah? Thank you, Peni."

"For what?"

"For still believing in me." Said Otto with a dry expressionless tone. "You mean a lot to me."

Stuttering over her words, Peni pointed to the door. "There's a vending machine with many snacks; I'll grab you some, yeah? I'll be right back."

Quickly darting from the room, Peni leaned against the wall holding her flushed face and taking a deep sigh. "What are you doing, Peni?"

Otto sat back in bed, turning the TV back on, resting his chin against his knees and closing his eyes. Then, nodding to himself, he smiled. "You were right; they're lying to me. I can hear you."

****

"The semi-final is about to commence! Thank you all for your patience. The much-heated match between Y/N Parker and Katsuki Bakugo is almost here!"