Issue 57 - Z Day

They said it all started with a flash in the sky and a ripple through the clouds. Nobody knows what caused this exactly, but some people think it might be a punch. Was he really that strong? Had the infection made him so determined to get here in search of a brand new food supply? At the time, I said no... but having experienced this hunger firsthand, I'm afraid that I now know better. The Avengers were the first on the scene. Can you picture them? Faces grave, concerned for all those human casualties. That idiot Colonel America reassured everyone that everything would be fine now that the superheroes had arrived. What they didn't know is that the infection had targeted the superheroes of this dimension and a thousand realities before us. This was how it consumed; you see... by infecting superheroes just like him and sending them out to infect the others. Within twenty-four hours, we'd consumed the entire planet. One superhero from an infected universe... That was all it took to end an entire world.

****

Though my time passing through the Multi-Verse was a mere blink and miss, I never did imagine coming across one universe so disturbing and nightmarish.

I was trapped with seemly no way out. The undead heroes somehow knew that too. None of them moved, all just watching, inspecting their prize with the utmost joy. I kept looking around, not ready to be devoured, as the undead Spider-Man sighed. "Give it up, buddy; there's no way out of this. The other guy couldn't see that and had to fight till the bitter end."

"If you surrender, I promise to make it painless." Captain America stated.

I felt my stomach turn as Hulk roared. "Hulk tired of waiting, Hulk hungriest there is!"

Hulk tried charging me but the other horde members began bickering with each other, fighting over the first bite. Lowering my hand, I began pressing buttons, trembling. "This is a nightmare..."

My eyes widened as Wasp grew behind me, getting in a sneak attack. Biting down on my neck, her teeth shattered as my nanomachines quickly spread across that part of my body, saving my skin. Throwing her over my shoulders, making sure to stay way clear of her mouth, I began activating my suit, panting. Finally, the horde had enough of swarming me. 

The moment they did, a large smoke screen echoed through the streets. I felt my body being pulled from the suit as I fell back, watching the undead devour the suit. It distracted them enough not to notice me gone. I felt a hand tug at me as I looked up to see a young girl wearing a tacky, torn Spider-Man outfit and a gas mask. "Run!"

Taking her hand, we quickly fled past the horde bucking down the stairs to the train station and avoiding the ever-growing herd. "Don't stop; we're almost there!"

"Don't let our dinner escape!" Black Widow cried as the undead heroes poured in. The girl jumped over the ticket booth firing a set of webs blocking us off from the horde. "Help me with this dude!" She shouted, lifting a bunker door. I kneeled down, not even waiting a moment, using all my strength to lift it up. Only made to open it a fraction, it was enough to crawl under before letting it drop before the horde quickly.

Safe at last.

The girl bent over, panting. "That took it out of me..."

"You seriously saved my bacon back there... Holy crap."

The girl turned on the spot taking her mask off, dazed. "Tell me you're real; please tell me I'm not hallucinating all of this? Otherwise, I risked my life for nothing."

"I'm as real as they come. Whether or not that's a downgrade to who you wanted is up for debate."

The girl was on the verge of crying, wiping her nose. "Can I hug you? I haven't interacted with a living person in God knows how long. I could really use a hug."