Issue 10 - Damage Control

The door to class 1A swung open as Aizawa strolled in, rubbing his eyes. "Settle down, everyone, Jesus. You've all been eager and curious about what happened yesterday and why your training was suddenly cancelled. Now that everything has been cleared up and repairs are in order, I'll confirm a villain attacked the school yesterday."

"A villain?! Here, at UA? Are they suicidal?!" Kirishima argued, taken back.

Uraraka gave it some thought nodding. "With the number of pros here, All Might being one only an idiot who dare attack the school. Excuse me, Mr Aizawa, was the reason the villain attacked discovered?"

Smirking to himself, Aizawa turned to the door. "Yeah, we know the reason; that reason was also the exact person who managed to stop the said villain. Are you coming in or what, Parker?!"

Dragging myself in, still cuffed with both hands and feet, I stood in front of the hero class with a defeated look. Lowering my head, I sighed. "Y/N? What's he doing here?" Kaminari shouted.

"The loser is probably just going to give us a demonstration on a stupid invention." Bakugo barked, looking away, frustrated.

"Why is he handcuffed?"

Aizawa looked at me, tutting. "Get on with it then; I've got a class to teach."

"Hold onto your seats, everyone; things are about to get weird."

****

Jennifer Walters sat down, pushing a set of files, going through each one in front of me. "You've made yourself quite the name over the last two years; that's no easy feat for any pro, let alone a child in a spray-painted hoody. Chameleon, the beetle, hydro man, Hammerhead, Rhino and most recently Max Shiraishi, now calling himself Electro. You've got quite the catalogue of takedowns, Mr Parker. Some Pros won't even take down this many villains, yet you've done it in two years with minimal help and under no agency."

"I can't tell if you're complimenting me or scolding me." I chuckle, nodding. "When you line it up like that, I guess I have had my work cut out."

"Work, I'm sure you already know this by now, Mr Parker, but people can't just be heroes; there are laws and hoops all of us have to jump through. Even in America, we have to follow these same kinds of rules. Without them, there would be chaos."

"I thought you were meant to be helping me."

"I cannot help you until I understand how you work, Mr Parker." Jennifer exclaimed, showing me my awful UA school ID badge. "And what I don't understand is the path you've chosen. You have the skillset and quirk to do good. You've proven that already; you could have easily been accepted into the hero programme. Within a few years, any big agency would take you. Yet you chose to make support items by day, vigilante work by night. Why?"

Cupping my hands together, I paused, lost in thought. "I don't think I need to explain who my Uncle was; it seems everyone always goes on about how amazing he was. I won't doubt that, but. Being a pro, putting his life out there for everyone to see killed him. I was there when he was gunned down in our own house. He saved countless people, but he couldn't save himself at the end of the day. None of that would have happened if his identity was never public. He left behind my Aunt to pick up the pieces. Four years later, and she's still stuck, unable to fully move on, I loved my Uncle Ben very much, but he damned us by being a pro. I couldn't go around putting those who I care about in danger. The mask isn't just to save me, but those around me too."

"So you do want to be a hero then?"

"Of course I do." I laugh off, slouched back in my chair, tapping the files. "I think all of this is proof enough; I'm not interested in taking down massive level threats like All Might; I'm not interested in running my own agency or training the next generation. I just want to help the little guys out there who are ignored. Robberies, muggings, anything like that. I just want to be the friendly neighbourhood hero. I guess it's too late for that, though, right? Is Shiraishi alright?"