Issue 33 - Stab in the Back

The sun was beginning to set as Peni made her way through the halls of UA. Having forgotten her spare parts, she decided to hike back, not wanting to lose out on repairs over the weekend. Turning the corner, Peni stopped in her tracks, stepping on broken glass. Looking down, she saw glass shattered all across the hallway. Slowly approaching, she found the headmaster's office a mess with webbing all over the place. Peni quickly pulled out her phone, knowing what this meant.

But before she could call Y/N, she froze, seeing a flickering light in the corner of her eye. It was coming from the workshop. Putting her phone away, she opened the door finding a small light emitting from the worktable. There Otto was hunched over, working tirelessly. The closer Peni got, the sooner she realised Otto was working on his metal arms.

Stumbling back, Otto caught wind of Peni turning on the spot, trying to cover up the arms. "Peni! Peni, wait, this isn't what it looks like!"

Pressed against the wall, she whispered through her teeth, horrified. "How did you get those? They were confiscated by the Pros after the sports festival."

"Promise me you won't freak out. Please... I spoke to Wilson Fisk and explained my situation; he was more than willing to allow me all the time and resources to finally finish my dream." Otto expressed, trying to calm Peni down. "I wanted to keep it a surprise until it was done. I wanted to impress you with the finished design."

"Impress me?" Peni choked, still fixated on the arms. "Those things nearly killed me."

Getting on his knees, Otto lowered his head in shame. "I really wish I could remember that I truly do, Peni. I'll say it for as long as you'd like. I'll say it until my last breath; I'm sorry."

Peni slowly approached the arms seeing the upgrades to them. They were slightly improved, the metal stronger. Peni wanted to believe Otto, she really did, but the risk scared her. "What if the same thing happened again?"

Otto quickly rushed over, holding Peni's hands. "That's why I need your help. Together we can fix the wrongs and change the world. The quirks won't look down on us, Peni. I need you; I've always needed you."

"What are you saying?" Peni whispered, going red. "You're not honestly suggesting?"

Moving Peni away from the table, Otto blocked her from leaving, gazing into her eyes. "I do. Peni, you mean the world to me. I want to prove to you that I am the better man you used to look up to. I want to be that man again, but I cannot do it alone."

Peni looked away, embarrassed, nodding. "I suppose I feel something too... I want to help Otto; I really do. But getting help from Wilson Fisk that's not right. Look what he did to Y/N."

Otto let go of Peni's hands, turning away and sighing to himself. "There we go with Y/N again, Y/N this, Y/N that. Forget that backstabbing bastard and focus on me. He lied to us, Peni, treated us like his stepping stone to get into the big leagues."

"That's not true, not Y/N!"

"Is that so?" Otto exclaimed, walking to the workstation and slouching down against it. "Has he returned any of your calls? The violent outburst against Mr Fisk pushes away his closest friends and families. His use for you ran out, so he abandoned you. He dumped me in my time of need. Y/N is selfish, cold-blooded and spiteful. That's what he is! He'd instead do everything alone and leave us to the scraps. Not me! No, not me! I'd never do that to you, Peni Parker; you are my friend, not him. I don't throw my friends away in my time of need. So forget him; he's already forgotten you."

Peni wiped her eyes, refusing to believe Otto's bold claims. "You're wrong about him! Y/N is the greatest person I know; he's been through hell and back and never gives up. I'll always be there to back him up when he needs me."