Issue 58 - Responsibility

The assault on the bunker defences had been going on for about twenty minutes now as the zombies showed no sign of getting in. Lowering my guard, I put the table leg down, walking back towards Mayday, who was far too preoccupied fixing the jumper. I sat down staring at the door, still never truly felt safe.

"How do you think it feels?"

"Huh?" Mayday shouted back, a spanner hanging from her mouth. 

"Being a zombie? How do you think that feels?"

"You're seriously asking that question?" She mutters, staring blankly at me. "I feel like we should swap places right now... The isolation is getting to your head."

"Yeah, maybe that's a bit depressing to think about? But, tell ya what, how about this? What's the first thing you're going to do when we get back home?"

Mayday paused, turning around and looking slightly embarrassed. "Can I be honest with you, Y/N? The first thing I'd do would be to eat the biggest, juiciest burger money can buy. I'd top it with extra bacon, cheese, and barbeque sauce!"

"Man, I could really use a good burger myself. Unfortunately, they don't make them in Japan like in New York."

Mayday wiped her mouth, smiling. "Then, after all this, you can buy me a burger; I expect five guys and nothing less. See it as a thank you, for you know, saving your life. Soon to be twice too."

"Haha, if you don't get that jumper working, the only one snaking on burgers will be the Zs eating our brains." I point out doing a zombie walk.

Chuckling slightly to this, she kept messing with the jumper, nodding. "When I was told about the multi-verse, I didn't quite believe it. The idea of there being an infinite number of universes, each with its own Spider-Man, was pretty hard to believe. And I fought a guy who robbed banks on really big stilts. But seeing you here it's like looking in a mirror. It's creepy. Do you crack jokes in the heat of a battle to hide the fact you're having a mental breakdown over the pressure of fighting literal monsters?"

"Like all the time, girl, I have even to write down some of my quips I come up with in the shower in case I forget them. Not to brag, but I have four books full of wise-cracking jokes that will never see the light of day."

"Ooh, ooh, do you have a catchphrase? I tested a few, but it just wasn't working. So I thought when I knock out a thug, I could go; I hope you sleep like a baby!"

I stood there hearing the sound of the door being bashed, waiting for the punch line. "That's it? I don't get it."

"You know, sleep like a baby... Because you think sleeping like a baby is a good thing, they don't sleep well at all. They're incredibly light, restless sleepers. So I knew it was bad, damn it... Ok, how about this one? A picture is worth 1000 words, and so is my fist!"

"I was thinking more on the lines of, oh, it's clobbering time, or Hulk smash or even Excelsior!" I whisper. "I was thinking of one too, but it wasn't a good one."

"Let me hear it."

"No, no. Now's not a good time."

"Oh, come on, will ya?"

Sighing, I lowered my head in shame. "When a villain pissed me off, I would look cocky and hiss between my teeth... I'm going to put some dirt in your eye."

"And then you would throw mud in their eyes, right; oh wait! You'd web them in the eyes, blinding them!"

"No... It's a general statement of ill intent. It basically means that you will beat someone using unfair, dirty or sneaky methods. Usually, when two people fight, they will punch, kick, grab, throw, etc. Fighting dirty means doing strange things during the fight. This can include biting or throwing dirt into someone's eyes so they can't see."