Issue 53 - Ghost-Spider

"Ok, folks, let's start from the beginning one last time... My name is Gwen Stacy, and for a time, I believed I was the one and only Ghost-Spider. I've been running under this mantel for nearly four years now after being bit by a radioactive spider. I think you know the rest; it wasn't easy to start off with, that's for sure. Even with help from the now retired Wasp, I made one mistake after another. From failing to save my friend, Peter Parker, to having the entire city turned against me by Matt Murdock and his ninja clan. To make matters worse, I also had to make sure no matter what, my identity was a secret, especially from my father, who was assigned to bringing me down."

"But no matter how difficult it got, I knew I could never give up; I owed that to Peter after all. The world was out to get me, screaming and tearing me apart bit by bit, but no matter how many times I get knocked down, I'm always one to get back up. Because no matter what, someone out there needs me, your friendly neighbourhood well... You know."

****

Tapping my foot, I still wasn't 100% convinced about Gwen's comic book origin story clearing my throat. "You practice that in front of a mirror or something?"

"As a matter of fact, I did. First impressions are everything; it seemed to work with your friend there." Gwen pointed out, glancing at Midoriya jotting all this down. 

"And you both have the same powers? Are you twins or long-lost siblings sharing the same quirk?"

"Quirks, yeah, that took a while to get used to." Gwen scoffed, checking her web shooters. "If it isn't already clear enough, I'm not from your Universe. The others love numbering each possible earth they come across. They designated mine Eart-65; yours Y/N is Earth-2016; we have others too, of course. There's Maday from Earth-982, Spider-Knight from Earth-1602... Who else? Oh! Spider-Uk from Earth-833, and how could I forget Spider-Cop from Earth-19119."

"Spider-Uk, Spider-Cop? You're seriously pulling my leg, aren't you with this." I whisper, still not buying it. "I mean, not only do you expect me to believe there is a countless number of us, but the Multi-Verse is real."

"Multi-Verse?" Peni questioned, falling out from her mech. "You mean like alternative realities like our own, but some things are different. Like that?"

Amused at this poor story, I stood up, taking in the 'New' Earth. "Alright, Miss Stacey, let's pretend for a moment like I believe your absurd story; what universe are we in now?"

Trying to get a signal, Gwen held up her device, frowning. "It doesn't seem to be working... I think it got damaged during the jump."

"How mighty convenient."

Midoriya finished off by jotting down his notes, looking confused. "Wait, you don't believe her Y/N?"

Laughing at this, I looked away. "Of course, I bloody well don't. This is clearly a trap set up by the Scarlet Witch to trick us. Otherwise... Otherwise."

"I have no reason to lie to you, Y/N. All of this is real."

"Then why now?! Huh, why the hell did you decide to act now?!" I scream, tearing up. Storming over to her, I lifted Gwen by her costume, furious. "You've been there the whole time; the second I stepped foot in U.A. High, you were there! Yet, not once did you approach me to tell me this truth, and not once did you even think to help me with my issues when Fisk destroyed my reputation? The Sinister Six attack?! When the Goblin killed Ashido! I needed you then, not now! So why, why, why, why?! Why is now different?!"

Peni tried stopping me, but Gwen held her hand out. "It's alright; it's fine. Peni Y/N is totally in the right to think that. Listen, Y/N, I know you're hurting. I've been there myself. I couldn't take the risk of my identity being revealed. There was too much at stake."