Issue 54 - The Superior Spider Part 1

My head was spinning when I woke. I felt sick, weak and just overall horrible. Then, lifting my head, I found myself sitting in a leather chair overlooking New York from across the river. I hadn't laid eyes on New York like this for almost a decade; seeing it again was almost nostalgic, even if it wasn't my universe.

"Enjoying the view? I can't say I blame you; it's something. This was the main base for S.H.I.E.L.D before Nick Fury went AWOL." The other universe's Y/N walked in, standing next to me, nodding. I tried getting up, but he pushed me back down. "Not so fast; I want to have a little talk, heart, to heart first."

Y/N sat on the desk, resting his arms on his legs. Then, letting off a big grin, he leaned forward. "You know I was wondering if eventually another version of me would wash up on my doorstep; I'm so glad that finally came true."

"Where is Peni... Midoriya and Gwen?"

"Easy cowboy, they're safe. For now,  I just had to have my dessert first, you see." He replied, rubbing his hands together. "So come on, tell me. What's your universe like? I'm dying to know!"

"You've had visitors from other universes before?"

"Oh yes, plenty. Most are looking to destroy us. They quickly learn that isn't going to work in their favour." Y/N scoffs, playing with a stress ball. "After we had a pleasant visit from Lilith, the mother of demons, countermeasures were put in place to combat other visitors like yourself. The Midnight Sons were formed to deal with the demonic threats present and those from worlds like your own. It was Strange's idea he got some heroes on board. Stark, Xavier and Ghost Rider himself, among other B ranks. They dealt with the constant invaders while Reed Richards created a device to cut us off from the vase multi-verse."

"Well, clearly, that didn't work."

Y/N stopped messing with the stress ball jumping down from his desk. "Yes, well, when the roles of hero and villain swapped, things got out of hand. Once the heroes got sour, we had our own problems. I'm not quite sure how it happened; whether it was old Strange up to his usual tricks or Xavier losing the plot, overnight, all the heroes just snapped. So left and right, Earth's Mightiest Heroes became the Mightiest Villains."

"But not you, I assume? Is that what you tell the public."

Holding his arms out, Y/N smirked. "What can I say? With Great Power comes great pressure to make those around you happy. The world is on the brink of anarchy. The heroes are gone, and we are being bombarded with people like you from other worlds threatening our very way of life. So people are willing to look the other way for peace of mind."

Glaring at my doppelganger, I spat on the floor, disgusted. "Sugarcoat it however you like if it helps you sleep at night. I have all the evidence I need just looking at you."

Y/N glanced at his white suit laughing to himself. "Oh, oh! What? Don't you like it? It's not the red and blue attire I know. But I personally like the look."

"Of course, you would. The Symbiote probably does more than that, right? The power, the freedom but little before you know it begins to consume you."

Y/N stared blankly, scratching his head. "Huh? Tch sorry, it completely slipped my mind. I took care of the Symbiote long ago. I forgot it used to be an issue. If you don't trust me here, try it on."

The suit slipped off Y/N, coming towards me. I fell from my chair in a panic as the terrible memories of Venom came back. Trying my best to escape was futile as the suit bonded to me. Ready to fight it, I froze. There was nothing, no whispers, no temptations. I had full control; there wasn't even a hint of malice. "That's not possible."

"Oh, Hunny, did you seriously expect me to run around wearing a suit that would wither away and control me? No, no, no, I made sure to show the Symbiote who's in charge. It's harmless, dead, you could say. However, it has no free will of its own, nor will it ever betray me. But from the looks, you had an experience with my oldest friend."