Issue 28 - Losing Faith

"Oww, oww, oww. Could you be a little bit gentler?" I whine, wincing in pain over my stitches.

"I'm sorry, Mr Parker, I'm afraid there isn't much more I can do to stop the pain," Benard stated.

Harry leaned against the doorway, holding a hot drink and staring at me idly. "I would always wonder what the hell you got up to on our time off. You'd come into school with cuts and bruises. Broken nose and fingers. I was concerned you were getting abused by your Aunt or something. But you were throwing your life away over such stupid endeavours." 

"Do we seriously have to do this now?"

"Since you've had the dignity to call me up after not speaking to me since joining your little hero boy band, I think we're doing this now. Bleeding out on my father's sofa is a good excuse to bring it up."

Sighing, I nodded. "I hear you... I wanted to tell you for so long; I really did. But I didn't want to put you at risk."

"Bullshit."

After finishing the stitching, Harry's Butler Benard closed the first aid kit. "I did the best I could do, Mr Parker; please do not pay too much, mind you, Harry. He's just worried about you."

"Goodnight, Benard."

"Goodnight Harry, goodnight Mr Parker."

"Do you remember the day my Uncle died? Aunt May dropped me off here while she helped with the investigation... You tried your best to cheer me up the best you could."

"I didn't do an excellent job, though. No amount of ice cream can fill that hole," Harry replied.

"When my Uncle Ben died... When the Green Goblin came for him, I was powerless to stop him. I watched my Uncle die, and the Goblin got away. The pros never caught the bastard... I failed him in life; I won't let that happen again in death."

Harry came over sitting next to me, concerned. "You're still blaming yourself for his death? Come on, Y/N, you know that wasn't your fault."

"But what if it was?" I argue. "If I was Spider-Man back then, if I was strong enough, I might have been able to save him. If I can't even save myself, what hope do I have? I keep losing again and again. First Otto and Bakugo, and now this Prowler guy almost killed me. I can't keep getting by being the simple, friendly neighbourhood hero anymore."

"Have you ever thought about just giving it up?" Harry asked, getting a scoff from me. "What? I'm being serious."

"Peni asked the same thing a few months ago," I whisper, standing up and pacing back and forth. "I don't know anymore."

Checking his phone, Harry smirked. "Well, if you want some good news, the hero killer Stain has just been taken down. But, hey, isn't that Midoriya?" 

Taking Harry's phone, I was just as surprised. "Well, would you look at that... I'm glad one of us is winning our fights."

"How come you never tried taking down the hero killer? Sounds like something up your alley?"

I shrugged it off, not really caring. "Not my problem. He was only going after Pros and serial killers."

"That sounds a little harsh."

Moving my arm around, I took my phone off charge. "I'm going to get out of your hair. I've been in your hair for too long now. I should have known Fisk would send some trained mercenaries after me."

"Wait, Fisk as in Wilson Fisk?! Y/N, what the hell have you done?" Harry shouts, standing up. "If my father finds out."

Walking to the elevator, it opened, revealing Norman Osborn standing there. Startled, I stepped back as he gave me a surprised look. "Y/N Parker, Harry didn't tell me he had friends over."