Issue 32 - The Black Suit

I couldn't sleep, not in my current state.

I had so many things racing through my head that I didn't even notice the sun piercing through my curtains. I had just been staring at the new suit I locked in my cupboard. Opening up a notebook, I began tearing pages out of my school notes, scribbling down everything about Wilson Fisk. The more I kept noting down, the worse my writing got before I snapped my pencil. 

Throwing the notebook across the room, I stormed to my cupboard, going to take the suit. I paused, feeling something at the back of my mind telling me otherwise. Slowly backing away, I was uneasy. I wanted to laugh it off so severely; it's just a suit; it's no big deal. As I kept staring, I jumped as there was a knock on my door. "Y/N, are you awake?" May questioned.

Clearing my mind, I opened the door, peering out. "I'm awake, May; what is it?"

Looking to the door, May looked back at me, whispering. "Ashido is asking for you."

"She's here?" I mutter, hiding more. "Why?"

"We both know why; she cares about you." May reminds me. 

Taking a deep breath, I tried closing the door more. "Can you tell her I'm not feeling well, or I'm still asleep, or out... I don't really want to face her right now."

May looked at me slightly disappointed, before nodding. "Alright, alright, I'll tell her you're still sleeping."

Closing the door, I fell onto my bed, covering my face and sighing. I felt terrible making May do this, but I didn't need to see Ashido right now using the pity card. I don't need their pity. Curled up, I kept looking at my suit, biting my lip, conflicted. 

My door opened again as May came in frowning. "I told her you were asleep; she brought you this." Handing me a paper bag, I opened it up, seeing some leftover food from our favourite Korean restaurant alongside an Iron Man plushie. "You should thank her when you get the chance."

"Yeah..." I whisper, sitting up and continuing to look conflicted. "Say May... Did Uncle Ben ever question if what he was doing was not working?"

Sitting on my bed, she looked confused. "What do you mean?

Curled up, I looked at her, unsure how to phrase my words. "Did he ever think the pro system was wrong? There are bad people out there not even the pros can touch; how did that not drive Ben mad?"

"You're talking about Wilson Fisk, aren't you?" May pointed out efficiently seeing my problems. "Your Uncle had his good and bad days. He took down so many villains, from Flint Marco to Jackel. But the one villain he could never bring to justice was..."

"The Green Goblin." I finished off knowing all too well how that turned out. "What happened?"

Frowning, May held my hand. "Ben was never one to give up when it came to a fight. If he believed there was justice to be served, he would be there to protect the innocent. But the Green Goblin was unlike anything anyone had seen. He was well trained, powerful and untouchable. No one knew who he was. Your Uncle teamed up with some of the best heroes. Moon knight, Gran Torino, The Defenders and just about all the police force. But no matter how hard he tried, he could never bring down the Green Goblin. A few weeks before he passed, I found your Uncle drowning in his self-pity a bit like you. He told me if he was stronger, he might be able to stop him."

"What did you say?"

"I told him, no matter what happens, good will always prevail. You will have bad days, yes, but those who can put on a brave face and keep fighting are the real heroes. Your Uncle was the greatest man I ever knew; he was a hero. But even he had his doubts and fears. But he moved beyond them, as should you. You're only one boy Y/N; promise me you won't go throwing your life away over something out of your control. There will always be villains who you cannot beat."