Issue 29 - The Kingpin of School

"Mr Fisk isn't this course of action risky for your business and your own wellbeing. UA High has been targeted serval times by groups of Villains in a couple of months. Why risk losing it all over something completely out of the left-field?"

"I tried to do this quietly, not wanting to draw attention. The last thing I wanted was for anyone close to me to become a target from those who do not share my dream. For those who will have this school, stay exactly as it is: mired in vigilantism and lawless behaviour. And I know now, it was foolish to make that decision, and I can no longer do it alone. That I cannot keep living in the shadows, afraid of the light. None of us can. None of us should be forced to. We must do this together. We must resist those who would have us live in fear. My name...is Wilson Fisk, and together, we can make UA High a better place."

****

I couldn't think straight about anything right now. I played right into his hand; I knew the Kingpin was cunning with his methods, but this wasn't something I was expecting. He had control of the school, control of the Pros and now control of me. He'd like to believe he was now untouchable. Anything I did could be used against my friends or me. 

I was indeed in the belly of the beast, but that wasn't going to stop me. 

Sneaking away from everyone before class began, I approached the headmaster's office, now Fisk's private safehouse. Kicking it open, Kingpin sat in Nezu's chair with a smug look. "Ahh, you've saved me the work of calling you here, Spider."

"Who the hell do you think you are?!"

"Y/N stop... It's not worth it." Felica whispers sitting in the corner, trembling. "Walk away."

Kneeling down to Felica's aid, I bit my lip, furious. "You've made your point, Kingpin; what's your goal? Do you plan on withering out the future pros so you can control crime throughout Tokyo? Or do you hope to have the pros in your pocket like the police, so all your shady deals go unnoticed?!"

Kingpin stood up, glaring at me. "It's not always about the money, Spider-Man. The very idea of pros and superheroes makes me sick. It was so much simpler when you all just stayed out of my way. We were happy; Vanesa and I were happy. We were breaking ground, weren't we, Felica? I had everything I wanted, but then the devil of hell's kitchen had to rat me out. The Avengers took wind, and before I knew it, my family was taken from me."

"You're delusional! Can't you see she doesn't want anything to do with you?!" I snap.

Kingpin places his hands deep in his pockets. "Believe what you want at the end of the day; you're a child playing hero. I'm here to put you in your place."

"Heroes don't stand up for what's right; people do. Sooner or later, more and more people will realise that and turn against you."

"That's what makes you dangerous. It's not the mask. It's not the skills. It's your ideology. The lone man who thinks he can make a difference. I'm glad we could talk. I- I respect your conviction even if it runs counter to my own. This is your final warning, fall in line or suffer your family." I gripped my fist, going to strike, only to freeze as he pulled out a set of files. "Let's see here, you're not the only Parker who goes to this school now, are you? Peni Parker, she's your cousin, correct, a few months younger than you and an avid inventor in the support programme. What's next? You live with your Aunt May Parker in a small, run-down apartment. A twenty-minute walk, I know the area. I pass it every day when I get my coffee. It's not the nicest area; I heard break-ins happen quite regularly. And then there's Mina Ashido; you two have known each other for a few years, going to the same middle school. Now both in the hero course where it is very well known you two are together. It's almost scary how much information opens up to me as the headmaster."