Issue 51 - Dawn of the Scarlet Witch

"In other news today, there have been more protests spanning across New York targeted against the Avengers Firm. This is the fifth protest in the last five months, brought on by the controversy brought over in Japan and the Spider-Man court case. There has been much debate over the matter that Y/N Parker was found not guilty of the murder of Norman Osborn. While new information came to light, it still sparked a debate about whether or not the 15-year-old should have been punished for the act. We spoke to Matt Murdock last week about the case and the truth that came to light about Norman Osborn being the Green Goblin, a high-level Villain who caused mayhem for the people of Japan."

"Even with this coming to light, many people have criticised the justice system for being much more forgiving to the heroes where others would have been punished. The current protests call for less leeway in how the justice system works for heroes, and the age of heroes in training increased from 13 to 18. We spoke to America's Head of Defence James Rhodes over the idea, and he was full up for the change hoping to avoid matters like this in the future. The world leaders are gathering next week to discuss the Sokoiva Accords and any amendments that need to be made. Many officials speculate there will be a crackdown on heroes in training and the number of heroes active. But, of course, we'll be there next week to break down all the details and announcements made."

****

I took a step back, inspecting my room, finally cleaning it up after so long. Then, looking somewhat pleased, Aunt May walked past, having to do a double take. "My, my, I was starting to think you'd never tidy up that battlefield of yours. I almost forgot what that room looked like."

I continued to stare, nodding. "Yeah, it took way longer than I would have liked to admit. Oh, right, I also have a box to throw out. Everything I don't want in here."

Pushing the box into the hallway, May gave me a confused look kneeling down and going through the old junk I was hoping to throw out. Then, taking out an old Captain America action figure, she laughed. "You can't go throwing your old pal Captain America out! Remember this hero single handily kept all the monsters out from under your bed? I would put him on the side of your bed and make you believe he would protect you. Wow, Jesus, that brings memories back... You couldn't even sleep without the light on at one point."

"That was a long time ago, May," I argue, taking the figure back and putting it back in the box. "I have no use for toys anymore; if someone else can make memories with this guy, then it's our duty to pass it on."

"Ok, ok, if you say such sport. What else do we have here? Your old clothes, more toys, oh and your Gameboy, are you sure about that one?"

"I really don't touch it anymore."

"Hear you loud and clear; just don't come crying when you regret it five years down the line..." May pauses holding up my Spider-Man mask, looking slightly deflated. "Y/N, you know. I still get calls from UA every once in and while. So you can always go back."

"I can't go back to something like that. I'm just not cut out to be a superhero, and that's alright. I've come to terms with that fact." I try and argue, leaning against the wall. "I fucked up plain and simple. We're constantly reminded of that with the threats and harassment we get every day. Even if I wanted to, the world has already decided."

Knowing it was a losing battle, May picked up the box about to leave before turning on the spot. "Oh, I forgot I didn't get time to visit Peni last night, so can you run to UA and drop off her lunch for me?"

"Are you kidding me? Talk about a low blow May."

Coming back around, May placed her hands on her hips, frustrated. "I don't want to hear any more excuses, young man. You two can't keep avoiding each other like this. You're family, Peni, used to be smitten by you. You looked up to your Uncle Ben as your role model for Peni. That was you. The longer you leave this, the worse it will get, which will eventually be. You made a mistake; we all do Y/N. The better man owns up to it and apologises, now be a good boy and deliver her lunch. No talking back end of the story."