Issue 63 - The Final Stand

Serval years ago...

Standing in the mirror, I felt a sense of heroic justice wash over me. It had taken time, but I had finally put together enough time and effort to create the first working suit. While it was nothing compared to the heroes out there, this one was special. It was my suit.

Adjusting my goggles, I squinted, slightly concerned. "Man, I should have thought about seeing through these... But, of course, it's just temporary; soon enough, I'll have the best suit around. One day."

"Y/N! Y/N, are you in there? Dinner is ready." The door slowly opened as I quickly ran over, placing my foot in the way blocking Aunt May from getting in. "Y/N? What are you doing in there?"

"I'm getting changed, May; I'm naked, please."

"Alright, I apologise. Dinner is almost ready."

"Ahh, umm. I already ate May on the way home from school."

"I picked you up?"

"Crap," I whisper under my breath, coughing. "Actually, I don't feel so good. So I'm going to turn in for the night."

"Oh... Alright then, did you need anything?"

"No. No, I'm alright, May. Thank you!" I yell, waiting for May to leave. Then, sighing, I began heading for the window. Slowly creaking it open, I leaned against it checking my phone and browsing the net for any villain sightings.

Scrolling down, a slight grin came over me. A small time robbery, and it was just a few blocks down. I can do this! Sitting on the edge of my window, I adjusted my web shooters feeling anxious. I looked down at the 20-foot drop, gulping. "This will work, no problem at all."

Firing a web, it exploded out, latching onto the tree across the road. Tugging at it, I felt overwhelmingly amazed. "This actually worked... Well, that was the easy part."

Taking a deep breath, I held onto my window with one hand, dreading the next part. Here goes nothing. Gripping onto the web, I began my first swing, my legs dangling and my scream echoing out. I had no control over my direction or where I was going as I kept spinning around, losing control. It didn't take long before I crashed into the tree, flipping over and falling into the bushes below. Lying on my back, my web shooters exploded with webbing all over me. Taking off my goggles, I stared up at the sky, whispering.

"That was awesome."

My first day as Spider-Man didn't go to plan; I never considered how difficult it would be; I had it all planned out, taking out villains left and right on my first day. I expected to be a beloved hero in the first month. But, unfortunately, that didn't exactly go to plan.

Nevertheless, I got here today for that first swing. That first failure kept pushing me over and over. I never gave up; if you had asked the me of that time, if ever imagined something like this would happen, he would never believe you.

Looking back, it seemed more like fairy-tale thinking than reality. And like all fairy tales, my story must come to an end. But, of course, not everyone gets a happy ending; the hero doesn't always get the girl and save the day. But, no, this is different. This ends the story of Spider-Man; this is how I died.

****

Explosions danced out surrounding me as I was forced on the defensive, avoiding the League's attack one after another. These clowns wouldn't be too much of an issue any other time. But with the Symbiote, that just changed everything.

Pinned to the floor by Toga, I curled my legs back, thrusting up and kicking her off me as I quickly recovered. I wasn't ready to fight them now in my condition, not alone anyway. I needed to escape. Firing a web, I began my ascent into a swing, only to flinch when I felt something pull me back down.