Issue 11 - Maximum Carnage

Crashing through a wall, I was blown out the side of a building, quickly waking up. Shooting a web, I swung around as mass explosions rippled off, blowing the floor. I was just into kingdom come. 

Spinning around, I gritted my teeth, watching the murderous carnage take place. "What the hell is wrong with this guy? He's out of his bloody mind; if he keeps this up, he will get someone killed or worse, himself." Zipping up a floor, the wall I was running up crumbled apart as Bakugo came flying out, pinning me as we both came crashing down. "I'm going to kill you, side character! Die!"

My eyes widened as I tried shooting my safety line to no prevail. As our descent came crashing down, my death seemed borderline inevitable.

3 hours earlier...

Knocking on the workshop door, I slid the door open with my foot holding boxes of my belongings. "Hello, anyone here?"

My Spider-Sense reacted as I quickly ducked, dropping my equipment and tools as a giant metal arm came crashing through. Otto pulled the curtain back, taking his goggles off, frustrated. "Why won't they listen to me? Just as I get that bit closer to perfecting them, this happens."

Still crouched down, I give a small wave. "Hey, Otto."

"Y/N? What are you doing on the floor?"

"Avoiding the clutches of death," I whisper, jumping up. "I was actually picking up a few of my things since, you know... I'm not a part of the support class anymore."

Otto kneeled down, handing me a small tube. "Nanomachines, I'm impressed you're brave enough to work with something like that."

Taking it back, I pushed it into my pile, smiling. "Very, very early work in progress. I can see your own project is moving along nicely."

"Oh yes, come, come. Have a look." Otto smiles, running around the table and showing off the prototype. "I'm on the verge of something great; Y/N, they've exceeded my expectations. Doctor Connors believes they might even be ready for the sports festival."

"Sports festival?" I questioned, taken back. "You're going to take part."

"Of course, what better way to show these off than with a proper demonstration in a super-powered environment. I'll win that damn festival and show the world what the quirkless can do."

Looking over the invention, I was left uneasy. "Are you sure? I mean the festival is in three weeks. You've got tests to perform, humans trials, the side effects. This sort of thing doesn't just solve itself in three weeks."

"I don't care, damn it!" Otto snapped, hitting the table. "I need this; people like us need this. We're always overlooked in life for being quirkless, not through life choices but by how we were born. It's discrimination; we put those petty feats to bed with people like Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks. I want to be acknowledged and seen for who I am, not what I'm not. Like you'd understand, you're not quirkless."

"Otto, look, man, let me explain."

"There will be no need for that." Otto barked, putting his goggles on. "Did it make you feel good, leeching off us pretending to be weak and pathetic? I bet you got a real kick out of it; I'll show you, I'll show everyone when I win the sports festival... Get out, get out! I don't have time for backstabbers."

Grabbing my web-shooters from Peni's station, I left without saying a word, feeling like a ton of bricks came crashing down on me. Standing outside the workshop, I lowered my head, grumbling to myself. "Fighting super villains and petty thugs hurts less than all of this... I'm sorry, Otto, for everything."

****

I sat in class feeling down and depressed, spinning a web cartridge around, sighing. Finally, everyone began piling in as Momo glanced at me. "What's got you so down?"