Issue 55 - The Superior Spider Part 2

Let's start from the beginning one last time, my name is Y/N Parker, and I was the only Spider-Man for the previous nine years. The last nine years have been smooth enough since getting chosen by that radioactive Spider; I got the girl, my childhood crush Mary Jane Watson and was at the top of my game, defeating a rogue gallery of villains left and right. My crime fighting gained attention from my enemies and eventually my allies in the Avengers.

Anyone looking in from the outside would believe everything was perfect. For a time, it was, but things started going wrong fast when the sky opened up, and monsters from another world came piling through. I soon found myself unable to be just the friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man anymore. That was fine, though; after the years of experience and recognition, it was nice to be fighting alongside the big shots like Thor and Hulk. However you see, I suppose down the line; I must have gotten reckless or believed my past enemies were under me because that's when everything really changed for the worst...

It all started on the night we all thought could be the end of the world.

****

The surface roared with explosions and destruction. Every fibre in my body screamed to turn back and help the Avengers. But I knew that couldn't happen; this was personal. Swinging through the sewers, I flipped forward, free falling to the bottom. Octavius had finally slipped up and come out of hiding after eight months. If I wait any longer, he might slip away again. I can't let that happen; who knows what madness that Doctor will get up to? Ripping forward, I latched onto the ceiling, looking into his old hideout, my phone buzzing. I chose to ignore this, descending into what was most likely a trap.

Something was strange about the manner. Usually, he wouldn't be so careless to give away his position, not to mention he hadn't moved hideouts since last time. I've been fighting the mad genius for the previous five years, and he always made it a thing not to use the same base twice. Something wasn't right at all. Blasting through the entrance, I readied myself for an ambush, surprise attack or anything Ock-related. Instead, I found myself in a Barron empty room with nothing but destroyed robots and a single bed with dozens of monitors surrounding it.

Slowly making my way towards the bed, I paused to the sound of coughing. Doc Ock sat up; eyes widened as he reached out coughing. "Spider-Man! You came; you actually came."

Each word was echoed out with a nasty cough. I kept my distance, still unsure, letting my guard down a little bit. "What sort of trick is this, Doc? You've tried everything in the book, but this isn't like you."

"I wasn't sure how to get in contact with you, Spider-Man; I thought the best way was simply to draw you in with my creations."

Stepping over an eight-legged robot, I raised an eyebrow. "Well, you got my attention Doc, even if it was at the worst possible time."

Looking to the monitor's Doc, Ock nodded. "I understand; who would have thought anyone could harness the brain of Professor X and use it as a weapon? Even in death, he's a pain in my ass... Red Onslaught, what a joke. Why aren't you out there with the other Avengers fighting it?"

Crossing my arms, I looked down at the Doc, confused. "Someone has to deal with the smaller threats... Like you? You're dying?"

"That's one way of putting it. It was bound to happen one way or another. Even my great genius is no match for the might of Cancer."

I checked and double-checked the records and monitors, he wasn't lying, and for the looks of it, Ock had a matter of days to live if that. "Let me get you the help you need, Octavius; I can get you to the nearest hospital."

Doc Ock chuckled at this, sitting up. "It's too late for me, Spider-Man; I am a dead man walking. I'll be dead by dawn."

"Why did you call for me then?" I question, glancing back at my oldest enemy. "Don't you have any family to turn to?"