Chapter Thirty: Don't Ask

*******Jin's POV*******

I stared down at my phone. There was a text from Joon.

We need to talk. All three of us.

That couldn't be good. Any time we were all three in the same room, World War III erupted.

I really didn't understand it, either. I thought that finding Kris would bring Joon and I even closer. Sure, we didn't know that we were soulmates during the past 9 years together, but finding out should have made things even better, shouldn't it have? And then finding out that we had a missing piece and she was actually already here with us? That should have just cemented it, right?

It really broke my heart that that was the farthest thing from the truth. I was normally a pretty happy guy, but lately, all that I've been is sad and upset. I just wanted both of my soulmates with me and happy to be so. Was that too much to ask?

Apparently so.

My phone vibrated again, this time, it was Kris.

Is he kidding with this shit? He's the one causing all of the problems, and now he wants to talk?

I sighed and started typing out a reply to her.

We should at least see what he has to say, don't you think? He IS our soulmate.

Her reply was almost instant.

He sure has a funny way of showing it. But fine. I'll go if you do.

I smiled. At least she didn't hate me. For now. It kind of came and went with her. Sometimes I almost thought she liked me, and others, I thought she might dislike me as much as she does Joon right now.

If he upsets you again, I promise to buy you ice cream after.

This time, I had to wait a couple of minutes for her response.

Deal. But I want three scoops. With lots of hot fudge and maybe some sprinkles.

I chuckled as I typed out my response.

Whatever you want, sweetheart.

I switched over to text Joon back.

Send me the time and place and I'll be there. Kris, too.

He dropped me a pin of a coffee shop right down the road and asked if I could be there in 20 minutes. I left my condo and walked down the hill to the one that Kris and the girls were supposed to be sharing, though Mairette was staying with her soulmates, so it was just Kris, Mandy, and their friend Kit, who I hadn't met yet. And honestly...I wasn't really in the mood to meet new people right now, so I sent Kris a message and asked if she would just meet me outside.

I watched as she left the condo and walked down the stairs to meet me.

"Hey," she said, giving me a half smile. "Are you ready to do this?"

"I guess," I said with a shrug. "The place he wants to meet is close, I thought we could just walk."

"Walking down sounds fine, but you might have to carry me back up the hill," she said with a laugh. "Especially after the ice cream that you promised."

"That's only if he upsets you," I reminded her.

"Yeah...I have no doubt that I'll be getting my damn ice cream," she said, her smile turning into a frown.

We started down the hill and I reached for her hand, linking our fingers together. To my surprise, she didn't stop me and curled hers around the back of my hand. It only took us about five minutes to walk to the coffee shop. We both let go of each other's hands when we got there, and I held the door open so that she could walk in first.