??? || 102 || ???

Art by AngryNum

Tw for potential disturbing imagery (not entirely sure)

As a warning, this chapter is slightly different from what I usually write

So dark.

How far had you travelled? How deep had you crawled? Could you even feel your limbs over the biting cold, surrounding by swathes of dark ice on all sides. Cold and immovable, thrumming with some sort've eldritch life that was long forgotten to even time herself.

The crust of the Earth was an interesting thing, so supposedly fragile and the thinnest layer of protection against the molten heat burning away. A skin keeping everything inside, from the reddest of blood and vilest of things. Things that weren't supposed to exist, yet they continued to defy all logic and did so anyway, creatures with too many twisted limbs and bulging eyes creeping through the dark, splitting it like wood.

They were watching you.

The ice below you was slippery, the path before you was unseeable, encased in darkness like an open maw waiting to catch you and eat you hole with one wrong move. The walls around you grew a little tighter, their shadows flickering like dancing flames.

Somewhere deep below you water rushed, lapping against frozen shores and slowly eroding the land, shaping the cavernous prison. Somewhere deep below you, the Earth rose and fell with every breath, a deep, sonorous vibration rattling the ice and casting haunting melodies.

How had you even got here? Wrapped up in layer after layer to stave of the freezing temperatures, brushing snow from your eyebrows and watching your breathe fog and collect in smoky clouds. You were an intruder, not someone meant to be here and not someone who should be seeing these sights.

You fumbled with your lighting, shining it forward in hopes to pierce the veil, the darkness swallowing your light like it was a mere speck. The walls around you glowed. Luminous and poignant, and within its depths lay creatures, preserved in some sort've sick and twisted museum. Creatures as large as mountains, iridescent orange scales with wings that could blot out the sun. Creatures as small as the common housecat, pale violet fur, lithe body stretched out in hope and with a mouth twisted into a yowl of horror. Creatures that weren't supposed to exist, a glorious fox the size of a lion with blinding fur and a multitude of tails, a wolf the size of a house with sleek, midnight black fur.

You tore your gaze away from the spectacle, jotting a few notes down in your book before it slipped from your hands and escaped into the darkness, clattering down the cacophony of carved stairs before it too, was lost to the world. You blinked and stared after it, briefly wondering if it was too late to return to the surface.