18

Donghyuck's eyes felt heavy but they
refused to open.

He didn't have feeling in any part of his body no matter how much he tried to move it.

"Mark, baby," Taeyong's soft voice came through. "You have to go to school."

Donghyuck could only see the black behind his eyelids but he could picture Taeyong's concerned face.

What was he worried about?

"No," Mark's voice whispered out.

Donghyuck felt a breath against his wrist and fingers intertwined with his own.

"Baby-" Taeyong tried to call out again.

"No!" Mark snapped and if Donghyuck was functional he probably would've flinched. "No, I'm not leaving until he wakes up."

"Mark, you know he wouldn't want you to sit here and worry about him," Taeyong reasoned to him gently.

He's right idiot.

Get your hard working ass to school before our teacher kicks my ass.

Donghyuck wishes he could say that to Mark.

"What if he gets worse?" Mark's voice dropped to a whisper and Donghyuck felt the fingers in his squeeze.

"He won't," He could imagine Taeyong running his fingers through Mark's hair. "You already know what Kun said. We've given him everything he needs. He'll be fine. He should wake up soon."

"Promise, you'll tell me as soon as he wakes up?" Mark's puppy brown eyes were probably wide.

"Promise," Taeyong smiled before petting Mark's head and leaving the room for a few minutes.

Donghyuck felt Mark squeeze his hand once more before completely letting go.

"Please wake up soon," Mark's voice was in his ear and his warm breath was ghosting his cheek. "...I...I miss you."

Donghyuck felt his heart stop when there was a press of lips against his cheek before he heard a door close again.

I miss you too.

...

When Donghyuck finally gained the strength to open his eyes, he noticed blankets piled on him and a small heater on full blast in the corner of the room.

He slowly sat up in the bed despite his whole body protesting. He could feel his ribs throbbing in pain. His entire body feeling like it was on fire.

"Taeyong, stop worrying! You only left a few minutes ago. I'm sure he is fine and still asleep-" Ten began to speak into his phone but his words were cut short when his eyes landed on Donghyuck.

Donghyuck made eye contact with Ten and raised his hand and waved shyly.

There was a moment of silence as they just stared at each other.

The only sound on the room was Taeyong's frantic words through the phone. ("TEN?! HELLO? WHAT'S WRONG? IS HE OK? I AM COMING HOME RIGHT NOW-")

Ten hung up the phone on Taeyong before it slipped from his hand and dropped onto the floor.

"Oh peaches," Ten's eyes were a little teary as he gave a small smile. "Im so glad you're awake."

"...I dont remember falling asleep," Donghyuck said as he went to rub his eyes but he hissed when pain shot through his face.

"Oh no no no," Ten scolded him and brought his hands away from his face. "Your face is bruised. You don't want to make it worse."

Donghyuck nodded his head before becoming very aware of the pain in his body.

"You got hypothermia. That's why you're buried in blankets," Ten snorted as he sat down in front of Donghyuck. "You'll be fine in a few days but your ribs and bruises will take a bit more time to heal."

Donghyuck made a hum of acknowledgement before he let his fists grip the blanket. "Ten-hyung?"

"Hmm?" Ten perked up at his name looking ready to do anything Donghyuck asks of him.

"I-" Donghyuck shook his head. "Nevermind."

"No," Ten pouted before raising Donghyuck's chin with his finger. "What is it?"

Donghyuck's lip wobbled a bit but he kept himself under control. "Is...are they mad at me?"

Ten stared into Donghyuck's brown eyes before his own softened as he giggled lightly.

"Aw you are so adorable," Ten coo'd before cupping Donghyuck's cheeks in his hands and stroking his bruised cheekbones with his thumbs.

"No love," Ten shook his head as he looked warmly at the wide eyes. "Nobody is mad at you. Nobody would ever be mad at you for something like this. You were hurt and you needed someone. Somebody is always going to come for you here. Always."

Donghyuck leaned into Ten's hands as he let the elders words sink in.

"We were more worried than anything," Ten continued. "John came in carrying you and...you looked so hurt. Normally, you look like a bad bitch-"

Donghyuck let out a small huff of laughter before letting Ten speak again.

"But you looked so hurt and small this time. I didn't know what to do. Everyone was freaking out. Jeno was yelling about if somebody hurt you,he was punching walls. Jaemin was crying and trying to calm down Jeno at the same time. Yuta was trying to get Taeyong everything he nodded and Mark...Mark. He was gone. He was hyperventilating really bad."

Donghyuck's took in a sharp breath.

They all cared so much.

"He was up and down. All over the place. He really cares about you-"

"He shouldn't," Donghyuck whispered defensively but Ten shushed him.

"He does. I feel like most people will agree but I thought Mark was on the verge of losing it. Everyone thinks that he's perfect but he just...he isn't. He tried hard to be strong hut sometimes he can't be. I thought he was gonna break....well, until he met you."

Donghyuck felt his hands shake from where they were gripping the blanket.

"He brought you here and you make him happy. I haven't seen him truly happy since before Jaehyun left. The second he brought you here, you made this place a little more light. Hell, you beat Yuta in Mario Kart. You got Jaemin to swear. You are literally my favorite person ever."

Donghyuck giggled a little before shaking his head.

"But anyway," Ten said as he moved his hands to hold Donghyuck's own. "Wherever those bruises came from? You don't need to tell me. That's more of a conversation with Taeyong but I really want you to consider telling him. None of us want you to keep getting hurt or worse."

Donghyuck nodded his head as he contemplated his options.

He didn't know what to do.

"But~ My department is fun," Ten smiled brightly at him. "So, what can I do to turn that frown upside down?"