54

"Where's Mark?" Donghyuck asked as he sat down at their lunch table.

"I was gonna ask you," Chenle frowned. "I haven't gotten to annoy him yet today."

"Jeno?" Jaemin turned to the side to ask his boyfriend.

Donghyuck raised a brow when he saw Jeno humming and playing with his food.

"Boy, oh, boy," Renjun rolled his eyes. "I wonder who could possibly know where Mark is."

Jeno seemed to not hear him as he mushed his jello with his spoon.

"Maybe the idiot across the table," Renjun kicked his shin under the table causing the black haired boy to yelp and look up.

"Mm?" Jeno's head shot up. "Who?"

"Mark Lee?" Donghyuck shot him an unimpressed look. "Like your brother."

"Brother? What brother?" Jeno laughed but he soon gulped when he felt Jaemin pinch his arm.

"Jeno Lee-" Jaemin went to warn but was cut off.

"Hey!" Mark beamed at them before sitting down next to Donghyuck.

"Convenient," Renjun grumbled before shoving food into his mouth like there was no tomorrow.

"Where were you?" Chenle glared at Mark.

"Hmm?" Mark hummed like he had no idea what Chenle was talking about.

Donghyuck watched narrowed eyes as Mark looked at Jeno. There was clearly something that only they knew.

"Chenle, who cares?" Jisung whined as he leaned his head on his boyfriends shoulder. "I have dance practice tonight and I already feel like im dying."

"Big baby," Chenle jerked his shoulder and Jisung jolted up. "You are a lot less interesting then Mark's whereabouts."

"I was talking to a teacher," Mark pressed his lips together.

"Ew, just kidding," Chenle made disgusted face before batting his eyelashes at Jisung. "My baby is tired?"

Renjun pretended to gag which caused Chenle to try and punch him across the table.

Donghyuck, however, couldn't take his eyes off of Mark. Something was off but he couldn't tell what.

"You're lying," Donghyuck whispered so only Mark could hear. Not like anyone would anyway, Chenle and Renjun are trying to wrestle on the table.

"Hm?" Mark spared a glance at Donghyuck before looking away again.

"You weren't talking to a teacher," Donghyuck started to feel uneasy. "You weren't even in class."

"I was talking to another teacher," Mark huffed a small laugh. "I had to miss class to talk to them."

Donghyuck eye's stayed narrowed as he stared at Mark's side profile. He watched as his ears twitched and his fingers started to get fidgety-

There was a little bit of blood leaking out of Mark's knuckles.

Blood from knuckles that should already be mostly healed.

"Why the hell are you lying to me?" Donghyuck scoffed as Mark seemed to throw on a surprised smile.

"What? I'm not lying-" Mark tried to cover as he saw their friends start to look at them.

Donghyuck grabbed his wrist and slammed his hand on the table. The bloody knuckles on full display.

"Woah!" Chenle exclaimed. "What happened?"

"I-" Mark hesitated for just a second to glance at his brother.

That's when Donghyuck knew.

"Minhyuk," He said firmly as he looked at Mark. His lips pursed as he waited for an awnser.

"You didn't," Jaemin looked disappointed as Mark didn't awnser.

"Don't take it the wrong way," Jeno tried to save. "We only wanted to-"

Donghyuck did not give a flying fuck about the rest of what Jeno was going to say.

It didn't matter because he had already stood and walked straight out of the cafeteria.

...

"Donghyuck!" Mark ran out after him once he walked out.

Donghyuck ignored him and kept walking down the empty hallway.

"Hey!" Mark grabbed his wrist once he finally caught up. "Would you tell me what's wrong?"

"What's wrong?" Donghyuck spat as he yanked his wrist from Mark's grasp.

"Yeah," Mark nodded. "I don't get why your so upset about this when you should be happy I kicked his ass-"

"You're joking right?" Donghyuck scoffed as he shoved his hands into his jacket pockets. "First of all, you just lied to my face-"

"I didn't want to tell you here-" Mark tried to explain.

"You don't get it, do you?" Donghyuck clenched his jaw. "I'm sick of the violence Mark. I'm absolutely sick of it and I don't want you fighting anyone anymore."

"From what I heard," Mark turned defensive. "You hit him first."

"That's different," Donghyuck turned defensive as well.

"Is it?" Mark raised his brows. "I heard what he said about me. Are you telling me that you can protect me but I can't protect you?"

"No, that's not-" Donghyuck took a deep breathe before looking Mark in the eye. "Promise me that the physical violence will stop."

"I can't," Mark said immediately. "I meant what I said this morning. I'll always fight for you."

"I don't know if it's because of last night," Donghyuck started to shake a little. "Or if it's because I don't know what's going on between us. But I'm saying and feeling a lot of new things I've never felt before. I mean it when I say I don't want anymore fighting. I don't want anybody getting hurt anymore."

The image of Mark's skull getting bashed in with a baseball bat flashed in his mind like it does every night.

"Promise me," Donghyuck demanded as he reached over and pulled Mark's hand loose.

Despite his best efforts, he couldn't manhandle Mark's pinky free.

"Stop," Mark's voice was gentle and his eyes soft with understanding. He pulled Donghyuck's hand and guided him closer.

"Listen," Mark finally looped his pinky around Donghyuck's and pressed their hands against his heart.

He relished in the way Donghyuck's breath hitched and his cheeks tinged pink when he leaned so close that their foreheads almost touched.

"I can't promise you that things won't get violent," Mark squeezed his hand gently when he shook. "But I promise you I'm always going to be here for you. I promise to keep you safe. I promise to make you happy when you're sad. I promise that I'm going to love you until my heart stops beating."

Donghyuck felt his lash line get wet but no tears spilled over.

It would take a while but his heart was slowly getting put back together

"Boyfriend?" Donghyuck whispered as he looked up at Mark hopefully.

Mark cracked a bright smile.

"Boyfriend," Mark confirmed as he finally pressed their foreheads together.

"Promise?" Donghyuck closed his eyes gently.

"Promise," Mark whispered back before pressing a soft kiss onto his lips.

That's when the bell had finally chosen to ring.

It was interesting for people to see Lee Donghyuck and Mark Lee walking down the hallway with their pinkies interlocked.