Chapter 57.

"What am I to you?"

Helena did not know how to answer that question, it was too complex. Fred meant a lot to her. He was her best friend, her confidant. She felt calm around him, and it was easy to talk to him, no topic was forbidden. But certainly, the subject of love was one thing they did not speak about, at least in this school year. Were they unconsciously avoiding the matter afraid to know what the other really felt?

All of this hit her at once with the boy's question.

Why does it feel that my answer will change everything between us?

Helena sighed. There was no turning back when she answered.

"Fred," she said softly, hesitant. "Y-You're... my-"

"INCENDIO!"

A loud blast coming from Helena's right cut her off. She saw how the natured fence slowly burned to ashes to the ground in a controlled fire and with that, her opportunity to be honest with Fred.

The rest of the students had stopped what they had been doing, some confused as to why Professor Moody had started a fire suddenly; others were startled by the teacher's outburst of anger; and only two students could guess why Fred and Helena had sealed themselves from the rest of the class.

"WEASLEY! ROSEMUND! DETENTION!" barked Professor Moody, stomping his feet and cane in their direction. His glass eye could not decide whether to glare at the boy or the girl, moving like crazy in his socket. He was fuming. "I need not explain why! Classroom, NOW! Everyone else... dismissed!"

The professor stomped inside the castle, the rest of the class dispersed and headed inside as well, some murmuring about the teacher's explosive anger.

George stood next to his brother. Being his twin did not help figure out what to say to him at this precise moment. Did he get to confess to Helena before it all came burning down? Did Helena tell him she had lost the letter? He couldn't tell, but George could see they were both hurting.

"Let's just go," said Fred defeated, turning his heel, making his way to his detention, his twin following behind.

Helena was disappointed in herself. She could not answer his question, at least not fast enough for things to be sorted out.

"I wonder," Cedric started causally, standing behind the girl, "if you know which one of us is the friend."

The Gryffindor turned to look at the brunet with a quizzical look on her face. Cedric did not seem upset or mad about the obvious storm her friendship with Fred was going through. He was his usual calm and collected self, as if he knew the answer to that question already.

"You better go, before Moody implodes," Cedric smiled at her.

"Cedric, we need to talk," Helena was on the verge of tears. She never liked drama in her life, always acted accordingly to avoid it, so being in the situation she was in, it threw her off. Her heart was torn between Cedric and Fred. She cared for them so much, but care was not the same as love. 

Her heart loved one of two.

"Later, Nina," he reassured. "One thing at a time."

Helena took a deep breath in and nodded at the tall boy. She could not afford to break right now. She had to get Fred back.

Stomp.

Stomp.

Stomp.

The room appeared to be gloomier, and the lack of students made being there much worse as Professor Moody walked from one side to the other while Helena and Fred sat in separate desks, watching the sinister teacher come to a decision on how to punish their behavior.