Chapter 18.

News about Harry getting a brand new Firebolt had broken out and the boy kept getting asked if they could get a glimpse of the broom, others asking if they could have a go with it.

To everyone's disappointment, the Firebolt had been confiscated by Professor McGonagall until they made sure it was safe to use.

"Hermione, would you like to eat with us?" Nina asked her bushy haired friend as Harry and Ron walked out of the portrait, leaving the girl behind.

Helena noticed Harry and Ron's slight change in behaviour towards their friend, giving her upset looks whenever someone mentioned the broom.

On their way to the Great Hall for breakfast to start their first day of school since winter break, Hermione explained to Nina that Harry had received the Firebolt for Christmas from a mysterious person. Hermione, being her usual worried self, suggested that the present had been from Sirius Black and reported it to their Head of House, who at once took the broom for further inspection and has not returned it.

"Why curse a gift that cost him so much?" said Helena after Hermione had finished talking. "Could've sent something cheaper."

"Right... Like a rock," joked Fred with a mouthfull, George giggling next to him.

Both Helena and Hermione glared at Fred, who pretended to have locked his mouth shut with a key.

"Anyway..." said Helena turning back to the third year next to her, "I understand why you went to McGonagall, Hermione. Just let Harry and Ron have their fit and they'll come around."

Hermione nodded, smiling with appreciation that at least someone was on her side and not lecturing her for being responsable that the fastest broom in the world had been confiscated.

"Maybe McGonagall will give it up before Gryffindor plays," said Fred.

"A Firebolt in our team!" beamed George, shaking Nina by the shoulders with excitement. "We will definitely win now!"

"A broom doesn't make the player," Helena commented. "And besides, we lost last time because of those dementors," she said with a scowl.

"Okay, but if Harry have had the Firebolt before, the dementors wouldn't have caught up to him!" replied Fred, pushing his brother so he could be face to face to the girl.

"Are you honestly gonna blame Harry for losing?!" Nina laughed at the redhead, incredulous of what she was hearing.

"No, but those dementors wouldn't stand a chance agaisnt the Firebolt," said Fred as a smirk began to form on his lips, enjoying how the girl across from him was starting to get worked up on the matter.

"Oh, like you'd know that!" Nina pushed her empty plate away, crossing her arms over the table and staring intently at the redhead. "Go around racing brooms against dementors, do you?"

"Someone has to do it, Hell!" he said tossing his arms up in the air.

Nina rolled her eyes, chuckling at the boy, catching up at how Fred was trying get her pissed off just for the fun of it.

"Fred. Weasley." Her voice was so low it actually made it sound terrifying to Fred, which was the desired effect she was going for.

It was as if the the two of them were having a staring contest, unaware of the confused Hermione next to them and an amused George who was trying not to laugh at how childish they were both being.

"Is this normal?" Hermione mouthed at the George.

"What? The two of them annoying each other? Oh, yeah... it's normal," he gave her a thumbs up to assure her.