Victorine Chaudanson

September 28th, 1875 - August 13th, 1962

She is a Libra.

Victorine Chaudanson was born in Mayres, Ardèche, France to Pierre André Chaudanson and Rose Ciellier. She apparently spent much of her formative years in Paris with a sister where she was educated before finding employment as a maid to a host of wealthy families. She emigrated to the USA in 1908, arriving in New York aboard the RMS Oceanic on June 24th, stating her last permanent residence as Paris. Reportedly working for a period for the Thayer family, by the time of the 1910 census she had already began working for the Arthur Larned Ryerson family, appearing on the census that year residing at Copperstown, Springfield, Ostego New York, the family residence. It was during this time that she met her future husband, Henry Perkins, the Ryerson's English chauffeur.

Henry Perkins (born 2883) had come to the USA around 1996/1907 with several brothers where he became employed as a mechanic with Rolls-Royce in their new plant on Long Island, New York. He made his home in Manhattan on Lexington Avenue; he became a chauffeur to the Ryerson's around mid-1910 when the family purchased a car and Perkins was hired from the Rolls-Royce staff.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
In early 1912, Victorine was in Europe with the Ryersons. They had been notified of the death of their son back in America and the decision to return to America was hasty. They boarded the RMS Titanic at Cherbourg on April 10th, 1912 as first class passengers. Whilst aboard Victorine occupied cabin B-61. On the night of the sinking, Victorine went with the Ryersons to the boat deck and was shuffled between there and A-deck during the night while lifeboat 4 was being prepped. She was sent by her employers to their stateroom to retrieve valuables; whilst in their cabin searching for them she heard the door being locked behind her by a steward who were securing the cabins.

She began to scream which alerted the steward who unlocked the door. Victorine returned to the safety of the upper decks and Mr. Ryerson later surrender his lifebelt to her as she had none of her own. Victorine survived in the sinking in lifeboat 4 with Mrs. Ryerson and her children but Mr. Ryerson was lost.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Victorine married Perkins on June 3rd, 1912 and their son, George Henry was born in Boston on March 12th, 1913. The family later moved to Manhattan and appeared on the 1920 and 1930 census to be residing at East 66th Street. Perkins continued to work as a chauffeur to wealthy families before running a taxi firm (as shown in the 1930 census), later being forced to close when yellow cabs made an appearance and he returned to chauffeuring. He died in 1948. During the 1950's Victorine opened up about her experiences on Titanic to Walter Lord when he was writing A Night To Remember and she garnered a mention in the book that was published in 1956.

Victorine died at the age of 86 following a stroke on August 13th, 1962 in Springfield, Delaware, Pennsylvania. She was buried with Perkins at St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Broomall, Pennsylvania. George later became a marine engineer and he married and raised a family before retiring to Clearwater, Florida. He died there on September 3rd, 2002.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Victorine Chaudanson.