Annie Elizabeth Sage

No Picture Available

August 3rd, 1865 - April 15th, 1912

She is a Leo..

Elizabeth Ann Cazaly was born in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England and was later baptized in St Jude's Islington, London on June 20th, 1869. She was the daughter of Francis Willmot Cazaly (1832 - 1904), a warehouseman originally from Chichester, Sussex, and his wife Sophia Lucker (born 1833) of Sonning, Oxfordshire; her father was of French-Huguenot extraction. She had 9 known siblings: Jane Louisa (born 1858), Francis Edwin (born 1860), Edward Lewis (born 1862), Alice Sophia (born 1864), Alfred Thomas (born 1867), George Willnot (born 1868), Kathleen Maria (born 1871), Charles Frederick (born 1874), and Charlotte Helen (born 1876). Elizabeth and her father settled in Islington, London a few years after her birth and they are shown on the 1871 census shows them living at Forest Road, Hackney and Anne is then described as an underclothing apprentice (shirt seamstress).

She was married in St John Church, Hackney on November 2nd, 1890 to John George Sage (born 1867), a corn chandler, and her local address was given as Church Road, West Hackney; the newly married couple appear on the 1891 census as residents of Queen's Road, Hackney. They would go on to be the parents of 9 children: Stella Anna (born 1891), George John (born 1892), Douglas Bullen (born 1897), Anthony William (born 1899), Elizabeth Ada (born 1901), Constance Gladys (born 1904), and Thomas Henry (born 1907). Elizabeth and her family moved to Norfolk sometime around the turn of the century where her husband became a publican and ran the New Inn in Gaywood, Norfolk; the family appeared at that address on the 1901 census. By 1911 the family home was Gladstone Street in Peterborough, Northamptonshire and her husband was described as a baker; they had moved there around 1910 and taken over a bakers and confectioners from a Mr. Plant.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
In April of 1911 her husband eldest son travelled to Winnipeg, Manitoba where they both worked as cooks with the Central Pacific Railway. After some months, Mr. Sage and his son had saved sufficient money to embark out in a venture of their own and he purchased a fruit farm at Jacksonville, Florida, which he intended to cultivate for pecans. He sent a postcard to his wife which shows how taken he was with Florida. John returned to Britain aboard the Corsican, arriving in London on September 1st; his son followed 2 months later. A plan was hatched to bring the whole family across the Atlantic. John's enthusiasm wasn't evidently shared by Annie who didn't want to leave England, having a fear of water; her daughter Dorothy (Dolly) had fallen in a well in the backyard of the family home and almost drowned. Annie also appears to have been rather timid by nature.

It was originally intended that the family would travel aboard the Philadelphia but the coal strike forced them to take passage on the RMS Titanic instead. After bidding their farewells to many well-wishers the family travelled by train to Southampton and boarded the Titanic on April 10th, 1912 as 3rd class passengers. It's likely that the family were able to reach the deck shortly before the Titanic went down as there are reports that Stella had gotten into a lifeboat but left it when other members of her family were unable to join her. The whole family were lost in the sinking. Out of the 11-strong-crowd only Anthony's body was recovered. 

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Annie Elizabeth Sage.