Milton Long

October 19th, 1882 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Libra.

Milton Clyde Long was born in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts to Charles Leonard Long (born 1851), county judge, and Harriet Francis Clyde (born 1857), both Massachusetts natives of Lowdell and Fall River respectively who were married on December 15th, 1880. Milton appears on the 1900 census living with his family at Pearl Street, Springfield and it was indicated that he was still at school. By the time of the 1910 census the family are still at the same address and Milton, who was unmarried, was described as a clerk in law firm. Whilst it's understood that he attended Harvard and Columbus Law Schools it's not clear if he graduated from either institution.

Milton appeared for a passport in July of 1907, describing himself as a clerk; physically he stood at 5'10 and was of fair complexion with brown hair, grey-blue eyes, a thin face, an aquiline (prominent or hook) nose and average mouth, forehead and chin. He applied for another passport in December of 1909 and by which time he was described as a student.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
In June of 1911 Milton was aboard the SS Spokane when she ran aground and was wrecked in Seymour Narrow, British Columbia. Having spend a period in Europe, Milton boarded the RMS Titanic at Southampton as a 1st class passenger occupied cabin D-6; he was travelling alone. On the evening of April 14th, 1912 he met Jack Thayer over after-dinner coffee and following the collision he stuck by fhe Thayer family. He and Jack stood on the starboard side and watched the loading of lifeboats. When all but two of the collaspable boats had left the ship Jack stated that he and Milton chose to stay back from the free-for-all situation that was happening, with apparently anyone free to go in one of the last two lifeboats.

Having witnessed several boats launched precariously, which they were surprised reached the water intact, he and Milton feared that those last 2 boats would overturn on launching and elected to remain aboard the ship, preferring to take their chances there. They stood by a starboard railing amidships, talking over many things and trying to avoid the crowds. Jack suggested climbing down some empty falls but Milton talked him out of this. However, as the situation worsened and the ship begin to sink lower Milton said his goodbyes and climbed over the railing and slid down the side of the ship; Jack Thayer never saw him again.

Milton died in the sinking and his body was later recovered. His remains were forwarded to Springfield on April 30th, 1912 under the care of J.J H. Shepard following the receipt of letters from Judge Long on April 23rd, 1912 and instructions on April 24th, 1912. He was buried at Springfield Cemetery, Springfield, Massachusetts. A death certificate was issued on May 4th, 1912; it stated his profession as "Gentleman of leisure" and his cause of death as drowning. His father died on April 29th, 1930 and his mother on December 9th, 1952. Both were buried in Springfield Cemetery with their son. 

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Source:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Milton Clyde Long.