Violet Madeline Mellinger

February 22nd, 1899 - May 27th, 1976

She is a Pisces.

Violet Madeline Mellinger was born in Walthamstow, Essex, England. She is known as Madeline. She is the daughter of Claud Leinard Deschamps Mellinger (1874 - 1952), a clerk, and Elizabeth Anne Maidment (1870 - 1962). Her father was born in Wimbledon, Surrey to French parents whilst her mother hailed from Pimlico, Middlesex and they were married in 1895. She had 4 siblings: Eugene Claudine Emily (born 1895), Alexander Leinard Deschamps (1896 - 1975), Edmund Reginald (1900 - 1992), and Constance Sylvia (born 1904).

The family are shown (minus her father who is listed at their home address, Pembar Road, Walthamstow) on the 1901 census as visitors to an address in Bournemouth. Her parents later became estranged and her father emigrated to Australia sometime before 1910, leaving her mother apparently destitute. Madeline appears on the 1911 census as an inmate at a children's home located at Worple Road, Wimbledon, Surrey and her mother had became a domestic to make ends meet.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
In early 1912 Madeline's mother had gained a position as a housekeeper in Bennington, Vermont on the Fillmore Farms, the estate of Colgate family who had founded the toothpaste brand. She and her mother boarded the RMS Titanic at Southampton on April 10th, 1912 as a 2nd class passenger. Also aboard, albeit in first class, and bound for the same destination, was Charles Cresson Jones, the Fillmore Farms superintendent. He reportedly visited them in 2nd class to show them pictures of Bennington.

Madeline and her mother survived the sinking. They entered lifeboat 14 and were later transferred to lifeboat 12 by Harold Lowe. In an interview with the Toronto Star on April 15th, 1974 she said:

"We were asleep in our berths when a man banged in our door and told us to put on warm clothes and lifebelts and to get on deck."

She said she and her mother were hurled into a half empty lifeboat and she shivered in the drifting boat, the cries of the drowning all around her.

"I could see the lights of the ship starting to go under the water, then soundlessly, perhaps a mile away, it just went down. It just went down. It was gone. Oh yes, the sky was very black and the stars were very bright. They told me the people in the water were singing, but I knew they were screaming."

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
After arriving in New York, they went to see the widow of Charles Cresson Jones in Bennington. They returned to England after the sinking but emigrated to Canada around 1915, settling in Toronto. She was married there on October 1st, 1921 to David Daniel Mann (June 4th, 1898 in London, Ontario), a banker, and they had 4 sons: Alex, Bill, Don, and Carl.

On April 15th, 1939 Madeline and her mother together with fellow Titanic survivors Emma Bliss and John Collins met for a Titanic reunion dinner at the Royal York Hotel, Toronto. During the 1950's Madeline related her memories to Water Lord during his research for A Night To Remember and she later attended at Titanic Historical Society conventions in the 1970's. Madeline died on May 27th, 1976 in Toronto. Her cremated remains were interred in St John's Ridgeway Anglican Cemetery near Welland, Ontario. David died on October 1st, 1994.  

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Violet Madeline Mellinger.