Dorothy Harder

July 4th, 1890 - December 1st, 1926

She is a Cancer.

Dorothy Annan was born in New York City to Eduard Annan Jr (1867 - 1893) and Lizzie Maud Earle (1868 - 1891), both natives of New York. Following the death of both her parents at a young age, Dorothy was raised by her paternal aunt Mrs. Thomas Richardson (née Charlotte S. Annan, 1852 - 1923), appearing with her on the 1900 and 1910 censuses living in Manhattan, her address being 5th Avenue in the latter record.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Dorothy was married in New York to George Achilles Harder (born 1886), a realtor, on January 8th, 1912. Following a 3 month long honeymoon in Europe, the couple boarded the RMS Titanic at Cherbourg as 3rd class passengers. They occupied canon E-50. On the night of the sinking the couple appeared to have been in their at the cabin of the collision. Noting the thud as nothing that should otherwise perturb them, George went to investigate anyway, following which he returned to his cabin to fetch Dorothy and they both headed topside.

They were rescued in lifeboat 5. According to George's grandson, George and Dorothy saved 3 things from the Titanic (apparently taken from the cabin and still owned by the family today): Dorothy's fur coat, a bottle of brandy, and a button hook for Dorothy's shoes.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Folllwing their rescue, they were subjects of a well-known photo taken on the RMS Carpathia by Ms. Bernice Palmer. The photograph shows them in discussion with another passenger (believed to be Sallie Beckwith). They were frequently asked to lecture about the Titanic disaster but they refused. Like so many men who escaped George found the stigma of surviving the disaster difficult to live down. Dorothy and George made their home in Manhattan and went on to have 2 daughters: Dorothy V (1913 - 1973; later Mrs. Barclay Kountze Douglas) and Jean (1915 - 1991; later Mrs. Clendenin James Ryan). 

In 1916 she and George visited Asia, China, and Japan, returning home from Hong Kong aboard the Empress of Asia in December of 1916. At that time their address was 5th Avenue, Manhattan and Dorothy's passport, obtained that year, described her as standing at 5'2 with blue-grey eyes, light blond hair, an oval face with a prominent chin and high forehead. Dorothy would live at 5th Avenue, Manhattan for the rest of her life. Her last years were plagued with kidney complaints and she died at her New York apartment, Park Avenue, on December 1st, 1926 at the age of 36. She was later interred in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Dorothy Harder.