Alice Prichard

April 19th, 1875 - July 6th, 1948

She is a Aries.

Alice Maud Friend was born in Notting Hill, Middlesex, England and it's believed that she was illegitimate and her parents remain uncertain. However at the time of her marriage in 1904, she stated her father was a George Friend, a doctor, this individual hasn't been identified. Whilst Alice's exact parentage is uncertain she appears to have been raised by her grandparents Isaac Friend (1826 - 1877) and Elizabeth née Daines (1823 - 1891), both natives of Bawdsey, Suffolk who had married in 1846 and who had 8 known children: Ellen (born 1849), Harriett (born 1851), James (born 1853), Caroline (born 1856), Ann (born 1858), Anna (born 1860), George (born 1863), and Mary (born 1866).

Alice first appears on the 1881 census; her grandfather, who had been á agricultural labourer, had passed away 4 years previously and she and her grandmother (plus several uncles and aunts) were listed as living at East Lane, Woodbridge, Bawdsey, Suffolk. On the 1891 census a 15-year-old Alice was still living with her grandmother, then at The Shires, Bawdsey. Her grandmother passed away later in 1891 and it seems Alice went to live with her aunt Mary Johnson (née Friend) and her husband Fred at some point. She appears residing with them on the 1901 census at Claxton Grove, Fulham, London and her profession was given as a stewardess.

Alice was married in St Albans Church, Fulham on August 18th, 1904; her suitor was Robert Henry Prichard (June 8th, 1877), a Liverpool-born merchant marine steward, son of sea steward Robert Henry Prichard and his wife Martha Ann Sanderson. Her address was listed as Claxton-Grove, Fulham and although she had no stated profession she was known to have worked as a stewardess by this time. Robert's address was in Barking Road, West Ham. Alice and Robert would have one child, a daughter named Iris Alice, who was born in late 1906 in Fulham. On the 1911 census Robert is absent but she, Iris, and brother-in-law John Ernest Prichard—also a sea steward—were living at Masterman Road, East Ham, Sssex.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
When Alice signed on to the RMS Titanic on April 6th, 1912 she gave her address as Rosslyn Road, East Ham, Essex. Her previous ship had been the Minnehaha and as a stewardess she received monthly wages of £3, 10s. Alice left Iris in the care of Mary Johnson. A letter she sent from Queenstown was auctioned in 1999:

On Board R.M.S. "Titanic"
Queenstown
Dear Pollie,
Just a line from here, I am getting a bit more used to this now.  We took most of our passengers on at Cherbourg.  She was only 4 hours crossing over.  My Deck is W [sic] in the first class but I have to go such a way to the pantry.  As I am writing this the band is playing.  Just outside my room is the reception room.  They play there 4 to 5 and 9 to 10.  I hope my darling will keep well.  I would give anything to kiss her dear little face now.

It seems so hard to leave her, dear mite.  I never thought I should come to this.  It is a very crul world when one has to be parted from their only Child for want of money.

Now dear, I will close with fond love. Kiss my darling for me and take care of her, from Alice.

Tell Alice to buck up and be good at figures as there are two lots of job, lady cashiers here in the restaurant and two lady's attendants dfor the Turkish baths.  Do write to me so I get it at Plymouth on my way home. Addrss it to Mrs. Prichard, Stewardess, H.M.S. Titanic [sic], White Star Line, Plymouth, to let me know how baby is.

Alice was rescued, in which lifeboat is currently unknown (although lifeboat 11 has been suggested) and she returned to England aboard the Lapland. She was not required to give evidence to either of the British of American inquires into the disaster.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Both how long Alice served at sea following the Titanic disaster and what became of Robert isn't certain. She remained a resident at Masterman Road, East Ham for the rest of her life and in 1928 suffered the loss of Iris at the age of 21. Robert also appears to have pre-deceased her. By 1939 she and John Prichard. A docker, were listed as residents of Masterman Road and Alice was described as a retired stewardess.

Alice died in King George Hospital, Illford, Essex on July 6th, 1948. She left an estate worth £108, 12s, 7d to John Prichard.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Alice Prichard.