Harry Oliver

No Picture Available

March 19th, 1871 - May 11th, 1965

She is a Pisces.

Harry Oliver was born in East Cowes, Isle of Wright, Hampshire, England to James Oliver (born 1833), a green grocer, and Mary Elizabeth Houghton (born 1844), natives of St Leonards, Sussex and East Cowes respectively who had married in 1866. He had 2 known surviving siblings: Rose Hannah (1876 - 1948; later Mrs. John James Bunn) and Lily Ethel (1879 - 1964; later Mrs. William Arthur Reginald Derham). Harry first appears on the 1871 census as a 1-month-old infant living with his parents at an unknown address (Fulmer Place?) in East Cowes. The family later moved to High Street in East Cowes where his father began work as an innkeeper and ran the Ship and Launch, appearing there on the 1881 census.

Harry's father died on June 16th, 1886 at the age of 52 and his mother remarried 2 years later to John Wilson (born 1848); John bailed from Lymington and later took over the running of Ship and Launch; the family appear there on the 1891 census but Harry is absent. From his mother's 2nd marriage he gained one half-sibling, Frederick John (1889 - 1929). His stepfather died in 1904 and his mother on April 12th, 1907; he was described in the latter's probate as a yacht steward.

Harry appears to have joined the Royal Navy at a young age but any records for this career can't be located; by 1907 he was serving as a steward aboard the Majestic; addresses given over this time were Firgrove Road in Sholing and Orchard Place, Southampton. Prior to those voyages he had served aboard the RMS Adriatic but when he began working below decks isn't clear. He was married in 1897 to Jessie Louise Yeates (born 1874), also of East Cowes, but the couple had no children. Harry and Jessie appear on the 1911 census residing at Canada Road, Woolston and he is described as a dock labourer for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company. 

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
When he signed onto the RMS Titanic on April 6th, 1912, Harry gave his age as 32 and local address as Nicholas Road, Southampton, the home address of another seaman Harry Giles and his family (more on him later). His previous ship had been the RMS Olympic as a fireman he received monthly wages of £6.

Harry was rescued although which lifeboat isn't known (possibly lifeboat 9). An account of his experience was printed in the Western Daily Mercury on April 29th, 1912.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Harry returned to England following the disaster and wasn't called to testify at either the American or British Inquiries into the sinking. How long he remained at sea isn't clear. Harry remained living in Woolston for the remainder of his life, ultimately at Canada Road. He died there on March 17th, 1944 just 2 days shy of his 73rd birthday. He was buried at St Mary's Extra Cemetery, Southampton. Jessie remained at that address and passed away on October 16th, 1961.  

During the revival of interest in Titanic during the 1950's with the publication of A Night To Remember, many survivors came forward to tell their tales. One such man was Henry Robert Giles whose 1912 address, Nichols Road, Southampton, was when Harry had lodged at and gave when he signed onto the Titanic. Giles was perhaps regaled with the tales of escape, heroism, and horror by his lodger: armed with that information and perhaps with his wealth of tales he had read in  contemporary media, Giles began passing himself off as a Titanic survivor, although when he is isn't certain. During the 1950's he communicated with Walter Lord.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Harry Oliver.