Leonard Hoare

No Picture Available

1893 - April 15th, 1912

Leonard Hoare was born in Southampton, Hampshire, England to William Hoare (born 1864), an ordnance survey printer originally from Southampton, and Sarah Louisa Pilgrim (born 1885), a native of Eling, Hampshire. His parents married in Southampton in 1889 and went on to have 5 children. His siblings were: William Harold (1889 - 1975), Rodney George (1896 - 1981), Hilda Maud Louise (1898 - 1976; later Mrs. Frederick Ernest Tupper), and Sydney Charles (1902 - 1984). Leonard first appears on the 1901 census living with his family at Raven Terrace, St. Mary, Southampton but the family was living at Lyon Street by the time of the 1911 census. Leonard is by now absent and presumedly at sea.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
He initially signed on to Titanic in Belfast for her delivery trip to Southampton. When he signed on again on April 4th, 1912, he gave his address as High Street, Southampton (possibly a transcription error from Lyon Street) and his age as 21. As a first class steward, he received monthly wages of £3, 15s and his last ship had been the RMS Majestic. Also serving aboard was his maternal aunt Mabel Benett and an uncle by marriage, Alfred Crawford, the husband of his aunt Emily, née Pilgrim.

Leonard died in the sinking. His body of recovered, was never identified. Both his aunt and uncle were among the survivors. His death was reported in the Southampton Daily Echo on April 26th, 1912. His mother later died on August 16th, 1938. His last surviving sibling, Sydney, died in 1984. Leonard is remembered on a family headstone in the Old Common Cemetery, Southampton.

Sources:
www.encyclopediatitanica.org

Rest In Peace Leonard Hoare.