Amy Zillah Elise Stanley

January 4th, 1888 - April 23rd, 1955

She is a Capricorn.

Any Zillah Elise Stanley was baptized at the church in Barford St. Michael, Oxfordshire on March 16th, 1888, Badfold, St Michael (or Great Barfold is a village about 2 miles W.N.W of Deddington situated on the river Swere. As she grew up Amy probably helped in the family grocery on Green Road (they sold butter, bacon, and cheese). Eventually, however, Amy became a dressmaker working in the nearby city of Oxford. Later she left home go into domestic service.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Any purchased a 3rd class ticket through Thomas Cook & Son, Ludgate, Circus, London and left in April of that year to join the Titanic at Southampton. According to contemporary newspaper reports, she would have made the journey earlier but for the coal strike, by which she was delayed:

"My two cabin mates were a Nurse [Elizabeth Dowdell] and an 11 year old child, her name was Elizabeth [sic, Virginia Ethel Emanuel was only 6]. The child was alone, because her parents were still in Europe and she was going home to America."

Amy survived the sinking and completed the journey to New York aboard the rescue ship Carpathia. During the journey, the Carpathia's wireless operator accepted the following Macrongram, however, it was never transmitted due to lack of time. Whilst aboard the Carpathia, Amy made a happy discovery. The people she roomed with also survived the sinking. After her arrival Amy wrote to her parents:

Dear Father and Mother,
I have had a terrible experience, one that I shall never forget as long as I live. I seemed to have a presentiment that something would happen to the boat I was going to sail on. I enjoyed the first part of the voyage immensely. I had not been sea-sick all the voyage. I am now only suffering from shock and exposure to intense cold, with scarcity of clothing. I was writing a postcard the night that the boat struck the iceberg. It was about 11.30 p.m. I got out of bed and put my coat on and went out on deck and asked the steward what was the matter. He told me it was only the engines stopped, and ordered all the women back to bed. But I did not go. I shared a cabin with an American lady and child. I assisted them to dress, and then we went up on deck. We tried to reach the boats. Then I saw two fellows (whom we met at meals, the only men we made real friends of) coming towards us, who assisted us over the railings into the lifeboat. As we were being lowered a man about 16 stone jumped into the boat almost on top of me. I heard a pistol fired-I believe it was done to frighten the men from rushing the boat. This man's excuse was that he came because of his baby. When we rowed off the child must have died had I not attended to it.
We were rowing for several hours. I seemed to have extra strength that night to keep up my nerves, for I even made them laugh when I told them we had escaped vaccination, for we were all to have been vaccinated that day (meaning the Monday). I will say no more of that awful row, except that I was able to fix the rope round the women for them to be pulled up on the Carpathia while the men steadied the boat-the women seemed quite stupefied-yet when I was safe myself, I was the first to break down.
The sight on board was awful, with raving women-barely six women were saved who could say they had not lost a relative. Oh! the widows the Titanic has made! The last three days have been terrible. I attended to a woman [Mrs R. Abbott] who was picked up on a raft with four men. The latter died, but she lived. She has lost two sons on the Titanic. Their cabin was next to mine. She was the last woman I spoke to on the ship's deck. I am staying in a Woman's League Hotel, but I am quite well, and these people are fitting me up with clothes. I have telegraphed to Grace but have not yet received a reply. I long now to be with her. I will not write again until I am safe in Newhaven [sic]. Don't you think I have been lucky throughout?

I remain your loving Daughter
AMY
P.S. I nearly lost the boat at Southampton.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Any later expended on her meeting with Rosa Abbot:

We were very close since we were on the Titanic together. And her stateroom had been near mine. I was the only one that she could talk to about her sons because I knew them myself. She told me that she would get [sic] in the lifeboat if there hadn't been so many people around. So she and her sons kept together. She was thankful that [the] three of them had stayed with her on that piece of wreckage. The youngest went first then the other son went. She grew numb and cold and couldn't remember when she got on the Carpathia. There was a piece of cork in her hair and I managed to get a comb and it took a long time but finally we got it out.

Amy was given $200 by the American Red Cross and she travelled on to New Haven to start her new life. Amy married Eugene Sheldon Tanner Sr. on November 1st, 1918 in Brooklyn, New York. Through connections with the family she worked for in New Haven Amy managed to get Eugene an early honorable discharge from the Navy so they could be married. On July 22nd, 1921 (in North Attleboro, MA) Amy gave birth to Alfred Stanley Tanner Sr. (died September 30th, 1993) in Warwick, R.I). A 2nd son, Eugene Sheldon Tanner Jr. was born in Providence RI on August 8th, 1926. Any died on April 21st, 1955 in Providence, RI and was buried at Oakland Cemetery, Cranston, R.I on April 25th, 1955.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Amy Zillah Elise Stanley.