Sidney Edward Daniels

November 19th, 1893 - May 25th, 1983

He is a Scorpio.

Sidney Edward Daniels was born in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England to Walter James Daniels (1852 - 1920) and Louisa Mary Hunter (1857 - 1911), both natives of Hampshire who had married in Portsea in 1877. They would go on to have 9 children: Walter James (born 1878), Alice Louisa (born 1879), George Alfred (born 1881), Mabel Grace (born 1883), Albert Frank (born 1885), Ernest Frederick (born 1889), and Dorothy May (born 1898), and Sid.

Sidney first appears on the 1901 census living at Bessant Road, Portsmouth. His father was described as a beer retailer. Sid's mother died in early 1911 and by the time of the 1911 census Sid is living with his widowed father, 2 sisters, and a brother-in-law at Albert Road, Southsea, Portsmouth. Sid was described as single and at that time unemployed. He would later work on the RMS Olympic and was aboard during the ship's collision with the HMS Hawke.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
When he signed onto the RMS Titanic on April 4th, 1912, he gave his address at Albert Road, Portsmouth. His last ship was the Olympic. As a 3rd class steward he received monthly wages of £3, 15s. He was acquainted with fellow 3rd class steward Francis Edbrooke, son of a Portsmouth with publican, perhaps through their respective fathers. On the night of the sinking Sid reported that he was in his bunk when a night watchmen came in and told them to get dressed and up on deck. He recalled assisting women and children to the boats until all but the last 2 collaspable boats remained.

He assisted working at collaspable B until he described being up to his knees in water; following a quick glance around the deck he jumped up onto the rail beside a davit and struck out for the water where where he swam around for a couple of minutes before climbing aboard collaspable B. Sid reported man saying the Lord's Prayer in unison. He also said he informed a man near him that he was exhausted and needed to sleep; the man berated him and told him to stay awake otherwise he might not wake up again. The occupants of the upturned boat were later rescued and taken aboard the RMS Carpathia. Sid later returned home aboard the Lapland.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
During the 1914 - 1918 War, Sidney Charles joined the Royal Army Service Corps, although he saw no direct comeback, much to his chagrin, and he returned home in 1915. He was married in early 1916 to Gertrude Jessie Edbrooke (born 1894 in Gosport, Hampshire), sister of his Titanic colleague Francis Edbrooke. They would have no children and Gertrude died in 1918. Sid was remarried in 1920 to Alfreda Kathleen Clements (August 15th, 1895 on the Isle of Wright). They would have 7 children: Kathleen (1922 - 1966), Sidney (born 1925), Albert (born 1928), Robert John (1930 - 1981), Marion (born 1932), Richard (born 1935), and Jean (born 1938).

Sid continued to work at sea and would again serve during World War II for the merchant navy. Sid was the last surviving member of Titanic's crew. He died in Portsmouth on May 25th, 1983 at the age of 89. Alfreda later moved to Surrey and and died there in 1899. Sid is buried with Alfreda in Milton Cemetery, Portsmouth.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Sidney Edward Daniels.