Lucian Philip Smith

August 14th, 1887 - April 15th, 1912

He is a Leo.

Lucian Philip Smith was born in Dawson, Pennsylvania to Norval Preston and Anne Houston Smith (née Cochran), a family with large coal interests. On his 1909 passport application, Lucian stated that he stood at 5'7 tall, had light brown hair, and blue eyes.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
In 1912, he was living in the house of his sister at High Street in Morgantown, West Virginia, where he had attended and graduated from Aest Virginia University. The home still stands, and is presently the location of Café Bacchus. Local folklore claims that the bachelor first became aware of Mary Eloise Hughes, of Huntington, when shown a photograph of her by a mutual friend. He quickly became smitten, and travelled to Huntington to meet the dark-haired beauty. Whatever the exact circumstance of their meeting was, following a brief courtship, a wedding date was set for February 8th, 1912. The event was held in Central Christian Church in Huntington. James Smith, the older brother of Lucian, served as best man. A reception followed in the Hotel Frederick.

The newly-wed Smiths would have an extensive honeymoon consisting of a trip around the world. They departed for their journey aboard the RMS Olympic, under the command of Captain Edward John Smith. But by early April, the honeymooners were longing to return to the mountains of West Virginia. They boarded the RMS Titanic in Cherbourg, France on April 10th, 1912 as 1st class passengers. On the night of April 14th, 1912, Lucian was involved in a game d bridge with 3 on-board acquaintances: Paul Chevré, Alfred Fernand Omont, and Pierre Maréchal. When the collision with the iceberg occurred, he went to his cabin and woke Mary, yelling her: "We are in the north and have struck an iceberg. It does not amount to anything, but will probably delay us a day getting into New York. However, as a matter of form, the captain has ordered all ladies on deck."

After assuring her the Titanic was fully equipped, and he would be given a place in a lifeboat once the women and children were evacuated, Lucian saw Mary off in lifeboat 6. Her kissed her goodbye and instructed her to keep her hands in her pockets. Lucian was lost in the sinking. Ironically, his 3 bridgemates all found salvation in lifeboat 7, launched from the starboard side early in the sinking. Early newspaper reports stated that Lucian and Mary had been saved. Several hopeful family members, including James and an aunt, Sarah B. Cochran, travelled by train to New York to meet the couple when the RMS Carpathia docked. James later journeyed to Halifax, Nova Scotia to a certain weather or not the body is his brother had been recovered from the ocean. After searching the makeshift morgues and conferring with the captains of the search vessels MacKay-Bennett and Minia, je determined this wasn't so. Meanwhile Mary, expectant that Lucian would be found, had began planning a lavish mausoleum for him.

A memorial service, led by the Reverent C.H Bass, was held on May 12th, 1912 in Central Christian Church in Huntington, the same church the Smiths were wed in 3 months earlier. Pregnant at the time of the disaster, Mary gave birth to Lucian Philip Smith II, on November 29th, 1912 in a Cincinnati, Ohio hospital. Though she would marry 3 more times before her death in 1940, Mary was buried under the name Smith.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Lucian Philip Smith.

Note: Even in 1912, journalism went downhill I see. Did they even fact check before they reported that he was saved????? Way to give false hope to soon to be grieving family and friends assholes.