Agnes Davies

No Picture Available

November 23rd, 1861 - August 4th, 1933

She is a Sagittarius.

Agnes Davies (or Davis) was born was Agnes Friggens in Ludgvan, Cornwall, England to Grace Friggens (born 1841 in Gulvall, Cornwall) who was j married at time of her birth. Grace seemingly married a few years later to a man named Thomas Victor and had at least one child before emigrating to the USA, leaving Agnes behind. Agnes was apparently raised by Henry White (born 1820) and Dinah White (born 1819), the latter née Rowe, natives of Ludgvan who already had a large family. Agnes first appears on the 1871 census living with them at an address in Lennor, Penzance. By the time of the 1881 census, Dinah (now a widow) and Agnes are the only ones present at their home on New Mill, Madron, Penzance and both are described as chairwomen.

Agnes was married in Penzance on May 31st, 1886 to Richard Henry Nicholls (August 11th, 1867 in Ludgvan, son of Richard and Charity Nicholls), a mason who worked at a quarry in Trenowith Downs. They had 3 children: Mary Ethel (born 1886), Richard Henry (1890 - 1983), and Joseph Charles (born 1892) and the family appear on the 1891 census living at an unspecified address in Nancledra, Cornwall. When Agnes husband dies is not certain but she was listed as a widow on the 1901 census when she and her children were living at Corbis Bay, Uny Lelant, Cornwall. She was married in Penzance in early 1903 to Robert Davies (born 1843 in St Ives, Cornwall), an insurance agent. The couple had their only child several months later on July 31st, John Morgan Davies. Agnes became a widow again when Robert died in 1910. Agnes appears on the 1911 census living at the Stenrack in St Ives.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Not long afterward, Richard Henry and his wife emigrated to Kearsarge near New Allouez, Houghton, Michigan. A short while later Agnes decided to take her family to join her son and daughter-in-law in America. The raise the necessary funds, she sold all of her belongings in St Ives. With this done their ticket which cost £36, 15s, was purchased from William Cogar who was the White Star Line agent in St Ives. The family left St Ives by train and travelled with a family friend, Maud Sincock of Halsetown. Agnes and John David occupied a cabin with Maud and Alice Phillips of Ilfracombe, Devon; Joseph had separate accommodation. Agnes survived the sinking (probably in lifeboat 14) with John Davies but Joseph was lost.

The events immediately before and after the the sinking were recounted by her to a Calumet newspaper on arrival in Michigan. Agnes and her son, John spent about 5 hours in the boat before being picked up by the RMS Carpathia aboard which she commented that everything possible was done for the saved.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
On arrival in New York in addition to overnight accommodation, she was given a train ticket, $5 in cash, and a lunch box by the White Star Line. She left New York by train heading for Mohawk, Michigan. Once in Michigan, passengers on the train between Negaunee and Calumet recognized her her need, raised 'raised a neat little sum for her benefit'. A subscription list was also started for her benefit in Calumet. The Calumet News also went on to say that Agnes was a 'pleasant and refined woman but greatly overwrought and nervous as a result of her experience, suffering and bereavement. The sinking of the Titanic had taken her, her almost sole support, a 19 year old son. The loss of whom seems to her have been unnecessary, too, which makes it all the harder to bear.'

She later recounted her experience on the Titanic at the Calumet House. Agnes remained in Hancock, Michigan for the rest of her life and was remarried in 1921 to Richard Edwards (born 1881), a fireman of English birth. The couple lived in Railroad Avenue in Hancock. Agnes passed away in St. Joseph's Hospital, Hancock Houghton County, Michigan on August 4th, 1933 at the age of 71 and she was buried on August 7th, 1933 at Lakeview Cemetery, Calumet, Houghton, Michigan. This cemetery also holds a memorial to her son Joseph and the grave her of her son John who died in 1951.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Agnes Davies.