Emma Bliss

May 9th, 1866 - June 18th, 1859

She is a Taurus.

Emma Junod was born in Rollie, a small village between Lausanne and Geneva in Switzerland to François Louis Junod, a cooper (barrel maker), but other details about her early and family life are unclear. She came to England as a young woman and appears on the 1891 census as a lady's maid to the wife of a wealthy manufacturer, Theodore H. Bryant and his wife Isabella who lived at Juniper Hill in Mickleham, Surrey. She was married later that year in Ratley, Warwickshire on August 13th to Ernest John Bliss (born 1861), a butler, her residence at the time being given as Ratley Grange. Ernest hailed from Northamptonshire and was the son of butcher Richard Bliss and spent about a yellow following his marriage in New York before he returned to England and settled in Emma in his birthplace, Chacombe.

While in Chacombe the Bliss couple welcomed their first child in 1892, Henry Louis Junod. Their son child, another son named Ernest Junod, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1894 before they settled in Hampshire; there a daughter was born in 1897, Amy Catherine (later John Armstrong). Ernest curtailed his employment in the domestic duties and begin a career as a bricklayer and he and his family appear on the 1901 census living at School Lane, Allbrook, Hampshire. Son Henry later became a ship's joiner and made his home in Southampton whilst son Ernest became a clerk. Emma's husband is shown as a lodger at Wheeler's Terrace, Eastleigh, Hampshire where he is described as an unemployment labourer. The main family address is unclear but between then and early 1912 it's believed to have been at High Road in Southgate, north London. Her husband emigrated to Canada in August of 1911 and her 2 sons followed aboard the Ascania in February of 1912.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
When she signed onto the RMS Titanic on April 6th, 1912 Emma gave her address as Upper Park Road, New Southgate. Her previous ship had been the RMS Majestic and as a stewardess he received monthly wages of £3.

Emma survived the sinking, although in which lifeboat isn't clear (some place her in lifeboat 15). She wasn't called to testify at either of the Inquiries into the sinking and returned to England although it's not clear if she ever worked at sea again.     

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
After the disaster Emma followed her husband and sons to Canada, she and Amy left Southampton on July 24th, 1913 aboard the Ascania. Her husband worked as a cook and frequently crossed the border into the USA; by 1913 the family home was Devanport Road, Toronto. Emma became a widow when her husband Ernest died in Detroit on December 22nd, 1932; their address at the time was Durant Avenue, Toronto.

On April 19th, 1939, she, together with Elizabeth Mellinger, Madeline Mann (née Mellinger) and John Collins met for a Titanic reunion dinner at the Royal York Hotel, Toronto.  Emma spent her last few years of her life in Toronto's Never Nursing Home and in March of 1959 watched A Night To Remember. She died only a few months later on February 18th, 1959 at the age of 93 and was buried in Prospect Cemetery in Toronto. She was survived by her 3 children.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Emma Bliss.