Maragret Daly

July 1st, 1878 - April 7th, 1949

She is a Cancer.

Margaret (Maggie) Daly was born in Irishtown, Co Westmeath, Ireland to a Roman Catholic family. She was the daughter of Patrick Daly, a labourer and railway worker, and Bridget Egan (born 1848) who had married around 1866. Her father died sometime prior to 1901 but little else is known about him. She had 6 known siblings: Mary (November 1st, 1870), Bridget (January 23rd, 1873), Anne (August 22nd, 1874), Joseph (May 4th, 1876), John (October 12th, 1881), and Catherine (August 18th, 1883). Maggie had previously lived in the USA although which timeframe is unclear; an Athlone-born Margaret Daly of similar age had crossed the Atlantic aboard Celtic in November of 1905 but whether this is the same person is unknown.

Her brother John, a policeman, lived in the Bronx, having emigrated around 1903; he was married to Irishwoman Marcella Cowan and with her had a son, Joseph (born 1909). Maggie returned to Ireland around 1910 for an extended visit and appeared on the 1911 census living with her mother and sister Mary at Irishtown and was described as an unmarried seamstress.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Maggie decided to return to New York and boarded the RMS Titanic at Queenstown, Ireland as a 3rd class passenger, travelling with several others from the Athlone area who included: Bertha E. Mulvhill, Eugene Daly, Delia Henry, Michael Connaoughton, and the Rice family. Maggie and Bertha shared a cabin somewhere near one of the ship's boiler rooms.

After the collision with the iceberg, Eugene woke the 2 women and saw them safely into a lifeboat just as it was being lowered. Somehow Bertha suffered a broken rib when boarding this lifeboat, but Maggie boarded safely. 

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
Upon her arrival in New York aboard the RMS Carpathia Maggie was listed as Marcella Daly, described as an unmarried domestic headed to her brother John at John who resided at East 157th Street, New York City. Brother John had come down to meet her at the Cunard Pier. Her mother back in Ireland continued to make her home in Irishtown and died a few years later on June 29th, 1918. Maggie remained in New York where she worked domestic jobs and is believed to have maintained a modest level of contact with fellow survivor Bridget Mulvhill and Eugene Daly.

On April 15th, 1920 she married Irish-born widower Bartholomew C. Griffin (born 1871) in Manhattan, New York. They lived at 3rd Avenue where Bartholomew died on April 15th, 1934. Maggie passed away on April 7th, 1939; her last address recorded as East 162nd Street, New York. She was buried 3 days later in Calvary Cemetery with her husband. 

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Margaret Daly.