Annie May Stengel

May 2nd, 1868 - January 22nd, 1956

She is a Taurus.

Annie May Morris was born in Brooklyn, New York to Charles E. Morris (born 1828), a "cartman", and Amanda, née Ripley (born 1843), both natives of New York and Augusta, Maine, respectively who had married in Boston on April 4th, 1866, this being her father's second marriage. One of her ancestors was Robert Morris (1734 - 1806), an English-born merchant and one of the signatories of the US Declaration of Independence. She had one known sibling, brother Edward (born 1875) and 4 half-siblings from her father's first marriage: Thomas (born 1855), Frank (born 1860), Emma (born 1861), and Joseph (born 1864).

Annie first appears on the 1870 census, listed with her family at an unspecified address in Brooklyn. By the time of the 1880 census, they were residents of Hoyt Street, Brooklyn. Annie was married around 1888 to Charles Emil Henry Stengel (born 1857), who worked in the manufacture of leather, later becoming  senior partner in the firm Stengel & Rothschild. They had 3 children: Inez (November 3rd, 1888), Henry Ivan (October 3rd, 1891), and Karl Raymond (July 9th, 1895). By the time of the 1900 census the family were living in the Spring Lake Borough in Monmouth, New Jersey; by 1905 they had moved to Newark, Charles' birthplace, and were living at Broad Street in that city. Later, at the time of the 1910 census, they had moved to Broad Street, Newark.

The year previous the Stengel's daughter Inez had married; around 1907 she had become involved with Georgia born Lieutenant Paul Jones Horton of the US Army and shortly afterwards accounted her engagement to the young man. Her parents, for reasons unclear, were strenuously opposed to the match and forbade it, forcing the young woman to break off the engagement. Annie's husband wrote to Horton to make clear his objections to any marriage and to assert that he wouldn't be welcomed into the family; this letter went unanswered. Defiant though, Inez and Horton were married in a clandestine ceremony in Newark's Central Methodist Episcopal Church in November of 1909, the news soon filtering back to Annie and her husband via acquaintances. Inez and Horton went on to have 2 children, Henry and Inez.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
In March of 1912 Mr. And Mrs. Stengel sailed for Europe for their return to the USA they boarded the RMS Titanic at Cherbourg as 1st class passengers and whilst aboard they occupied cabin C-116. On the night of the sinking the Stengels were in their cabin; Mr. Stengel was asleep but was in the midst of a dream and was stirring and moaning, disturbing his wife; she snapped at him "Wake up! You're dreaming." Just as Stengel came out of his sleep he felt a slight crash but he paid no attention to it; it was only after the engines stopped that the pair became alarmed. Throwing on whatever clothes they had nearby, the Stengels left their cabin to investigate and went to the boat deck where they saw only a small member of people gathered, following a quick reconnoitre they descended to A-deck.

Whilst there they saw Captain Smith come up from below, he looked very grave, prompting Mr. Stengel to remark to his wife that the situation may be serious. With orders beginning to circulate among the passengers to get lifebelts and go up top; the Stengels returned to their cabin and fetched their lifebelts before heading up on top again where Annie escaped in lifeboat 5: