Alice Fortune

May 10th, 1887 - April 7th, 1961

She is a Taurus.

Alice Elizabeth Fortune was born to Mark and Mary Fortune. She was still living at home when she was invited by her parents on the Grand Tour. In February or 1912, she was sitting on the veranda of Shepherd's Hotel in Carlo when she was approached by a fortune teller who warned her "You are in danger every time you travel on the sea, for I see you adrift in an open boat. You will lose everything but your life." William Sloper, who was there when it happened wrote about it in his memoirs, and said Alice gave the soothsayer some money "and the little man disappeared into the teeming crowd."

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
She boarded the RMS Titanic at Southampton as 1st class passengers. She travelled with her parents, her 2 sisters, Ethel Flora and Mabel, her brother, Charles Alexander Fortune. They occupied cabins C-23-25-27.

Her father and brother were lost in the sinking but the women rescued, probably in lifeboat 10.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
At the time of the sinking Alice was engaged to Charles Holden Allen who was born in St John's, New Brunswick on August 28th, 1880 and graduated from the University of Brunswick. After the sinking Alice and Charles Allen were married on June 8th, 1912. He quickly gained prominence in business and governmental affairs of Canada and for some years practiced law Fredericton, New Brunswick and later was Assistant of the Canadian Manager and Director of National Surety Company in Montréal.

They were the parents of one daughter, Mary Marjorie Rutherford (née Allen) who also lived in Chester, Nova Scotia. Alice and Charles Allen had a vacation home in Chester, Nova Scotia and it was to Chester that the couple retired. Alice died on April 7th, 1961 and is buried in the cemetery in Chester.

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Alice Fortune.