Amy Jacobsohn

No Picture Available

April 8th, 1888 - July 9th, 1947

She is a Aries.

Any Francis Cohen was born in Lewisham, Kent, England to Moreno Cohen (born 1856) and Alice Frances Jones (born 1860). Her mother hailed from Woolwich, Kent and worked as a psychiatric nurse before she was married in 1885. Little is known about her father, except he was likely Jewish, and he died in 1890. She had 2 siblings: Jacques Moise (born 1885) and Juli Rachel (born 1887). Amy first appears on the 1891 census living with her mother, siblings, and uncle Walter Jones at Albany Road, Peckham, London and her mother was described as a grocer. Later to support the family Amy's mother continued to work as a nurse and, perhaps unable to care adequately for them, had them put into care; the 1901 census shows Amy and her sister as inmates at an infant orphan asylum in Wanstead, Essex.

Her mother was remarried in 1902 to Frederick Alexander Christy (born 1846), an importer and textile spinning machines, but he died less than a year later. Amy and her sister adopted the name Christy as their own. She was married in London on August 28th, 1919 to Sidney Samuel Jacobsohn, a South African-born lawyer, and the two honeymooned in Torquay. There Sidney drew up his will and had it witnessed by a Mr. and Mrs. Wright. They settled in London at Pembridge Square and they appeared on the 1911 census as visitors at the Hotel Inverness, Inverness Terrace, Gumleigh Road, Ealing. Sidney was described as a colonel lawyer. The couple went on to have a child, a daughter, who died at birth.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
Amy and Sidney boarded the RMS Titanic at Southampton on April 10th, 1912 as 2nd class passengers and they were journeying to Montréal, Quebec. Travelling with them was Rachel and Alice.

Whilst the 3 ladies survived, Sidney died in the sinking and his body, I'd recovered, was never identified.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
On her return to London Amy commenced legal proceedings (July of 1912) to ensure Sidney's estate passed to her. Her lawyers managed to trace Mr. and Mrs. Wright who gave evidence that they had read the Will (apparently unusual) and that everything £4017, 1s, 7d) had been left to Amy. Sidney's brother who lived in Anson Road, Cricklewood wailed all claims which he might have had to the estate. Accordingly it passed to Amy with the judge commenting that if the will was recovered in the future it must be produced in court. The estate was settled on October 7th, 1912.

Amy was later remarried, becoming Mrs. William Fenwick, and had 2 children: Ann and Douglas. She later lived in Nairobi, Kenya before returning to England for a while. Following a period of ill health she returned to Nairobi and spent her last days in the Maia Carberry Nursing Home there. She died on July 9th, 1947.  

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Any Jacobsohn.