Mary Eloise Hughes Smith

August 7th, 1893 - May 3rd, 1940

She is a Leo.

Mary Eloise Hughes was born in Huntington, West Virginia. Her father was West Virginian Congressman James A. Hughes and her mother was Belle Vinson Hughes, a member of the Vinson family well-known in politics. Her father being a member of the House of Representatives, Mary spent a significant amount of her childhood in Washington, DC. Upon her debut to society in January of 1912, Mary caught the attention of Lucian Philip Smith. Lucian, who was 24, was a prominent resident of Morgantown, West Virginia, where he had attended and graduated from West Virginia University.

They married on February 8th, 1912 at the Central Christian Church in Huntington. The wedding was described by a local newspaper as "one of the most brilliant wedding functions the city ever witnessed." The Smiths left for a long honeymoon that would take them to Egypt, the Middle East, and finally, Europe.

Aboard Titanic/April 14th-15th, 1912:
According to family lore, the newlyweds decided to end their journey early when Mary discovered she was 2 months pregnant. The Smiths booked a first class passage back to the United States onboard the RMS Titanic. They boarded the ship in Cherbourg, France on April 10th, 1912. They occupied cabin C-31. On  April 14th, 1912 following dinner in the Café Parisian, Lucian was playing a game of cards with 3 Frenchmen. When the accident occurred at 11:40 PM, Mary had already retired for the night. She was awakened after the collision by Lucian who "leisurely" informed her: "We are in the north and have struck an iceberg. It does not amount to anything, but will probably delay us a day getting into New York. However, as a matter of form, the Captain has ordered all ladies on deck."

On deck, Mary approached Captain Smith and informed him she was alone, asked if her husband might not accompany her in the lifeboat. Her request was refused by the repeated order of "women and children first!" Mary was rescued in lifeboat 6, under the command of Robert Hichens. Lucian was lost, and his body wasn't among the recovered that were identified.

After The Sinking/Later Life/Death:
After being picked up by the RMS Carpathia, Mary was given the cabin of fellow newlyweds Charles Hutchinson and his wife Emma. On the 18th day of the U.S inquiry, Mary's affidavit was read before the senate committee by Congressman Hughes. In it, she stated that the whole disaster "seemed to be a moneyed accident." On August 18th, 1914, Mary remarried to fellow 1st class survivor Robert Williams Daniel of Richmond, Virginia. They divorced in 1923. Mary would marry twice before reverting back to her first married name of Smith.

Mary died on May 3rd, 1940 in a Cincinnati, Ohio sanatorium. She was 46. Her death was attributed to a heart attack. She was interred in the Vinson family plot in Spring Hill Cemetery, Huntington, West Virginia. 

Sources:
www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Rest In Peace Mary Louise Hughes Smith.